Bee's in Florida

hmm

Such an innocent...
here ya go No_Bivy

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/southflorida/story/947466.html

Thousands of bees driven out of home
A Davie couple plagued by a bee infestation can rest easy again, thanks to Willie the Bee Man and his crew.
Broward homeowners rescued from bee swarm
An elderly Broward couple received pro bono help from a local bee-removal service, which removed tens of thousands of the honey makers from inside a wall of their home.
Miami Herald Staff

I recall a honey bee hive co-habitating in the walls and attic of a large three story Victorian mansion on Sonoma Ave, Santa Rosa, Ca. Latter 50's. Honey,,, literally dripped out of the walls and ceiling.

I was a punk kid and went up to the 3rd story attic access, and had to pry it open because it was sealed off by the bees. It didn't take long to realize it was a mistake. Closed it back up and left it at that.

That colony was so huge it had to have more than one queen. Condo bee hive so to speak. Bees swarm out of practically every corner of that house.

The mansion was eventually condemned and wrecked in the latter 60,s. Today there doctors offices occupying the same spot.

And for the time it took to seep through the timbers and come out of the walls that honey tasted as fresh as day one.

Did you guys know that honey is probably the only food on earth that can stay fresh indefinitely? At least that's what I read somewhere years ago.

Love it in my tea.

I watched a clip about the Colony collapse,
something like 1/2 the food we eat rely's on bees' pollination.

That's for sure, Brian.

Colony collapse is serious business around the world.

I think I ticked Ekka off by pointing out to him that immicide systemic injections to control wood boring insects contained the very immidacloprid insecticide that seems the primary suspect in causing colony collapse disorder.

But he came back on his feet swinging for the bees stating that arborists should avoid using immicide 6-8 weeks prior to them flowering.

But to know that degree of detail about each species is something that even a master arborist would be hard pressed to know in different locales and climes.

The internet is the greatest teaching tool ever invented.

jomoco

Next week Im cutting out a hive....wow! been there three years in a 100 yr old cabin. I'll take pics for sure:D

my last cut out....no bees:cry:

this next one should bee fun8).......smokers ready

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Bivy

are you going to salvage that one also - can you add that to the other side of the yard? how is that going work?

Did you guys know that honey is probably the only food on earth that can stay fresh indefinitely? At least that's what I read somewhere years ago.

You are right, honey does not spoil, not to mention that it has many health benefits.According to WHFoods.com the benefits of raw honey also fall into the preventative arena. This substance can be useful for fighting off bacterial, fungal and even viral infections.

Sheri...We will open the wall and cut the sections of comb out and then rubber band them into frames and place into a hive box. Hopefully we will find the queen and all of the other bees will follow.
heres a pic of a "cut out" a friend of mine did.....it was in an old cabin as well

Being in the bee business always kind of appealed to me because you could start with almost nothing. My neighbor raises queen bees, I should go talk to him.

In many ways honey bees are our modern "canaries in the colemine" on a global scale.

The fact that colony collapse disorder is very real suggests that we should heed mother nature's bee warning as serious business indeed.

There's alot of funky aspects involved in modern ag practices that need changin.

jomoco

No Bivy, when you get a wild bee family like that, can you treat them with oxalic acid against varroa mites, like you can a caught swarm?
These would only have sealed off eggs and no larvae yet,at this time of the year, or how?

There is a theory here that it is low protein on top of all the other stuff like getting treated for the varoa mite, and the treachea mite that causes CCD. Guys who winter their hives in Socal where there is an abundance of wild pollen to be found do a lot better than if they are wintered in northern california where they are fed sugar for the winter. The expert guys think that the protein levels in the bees can be low and you can't really tell until it reaches a critical level and any stress added to that sends the hive over the edge.

there is a time frame for that treatment.....pre honey flow I think.

heres some pics off the cabin...pretty old. The bees entance is just right of the door. This is an addtion onto the cabin. There is a space that is about 8" thick, 4 to 5 feet long between the log structure. I'm planning on cutting into the sheetrock and then looking for the brood comb. I will get pics when I open up the chaos....