Cribbing?....when to draw the line?

No_Bivy

Treehouser
ok....I know yall will give me shite for the cribbing...not much is level here so "a mans gotta do what a mans gotta do"..

I did go light on most pics....3k was the biggest. Most pics are of the set up cause the bat died in the camera:X

Anywho....two days ago I climbed the tree to remove it by rigging it out. Once aloft i found several hollows which made rigging chunks out a bit sketchy...so I let the little voice inside talk me into a crane. It went pretty fast and we found the several of the limbs were hollow. Crane took the sting out of this one.

This was the most cribbing I have ever stacked up. A 28 ton rear mount..ground was solid and dry. I was a bit skeered so I went light to start. long story short...."I get to live" once again

Where is the line on cribbing up a crane?:O

Glad it went well. FWIW..hollows such as the one pictured are bull strong. When one side of the stem is shot strength goes way down but hollow with a thick rind of solid wood is tough.

Which tree was it, the one behind the crane or the one inside the fence? For the cost of the crane, couldn't you have pulled a couple sections of fence and flopped it? I guess it doesn't look so big in the pictures, but I know you have some tall trees there.

As far as the cribbing, the crane doesn't care as long as it's solid and level. My only concern would be shock loading the crane and shaking it off the cribbing. Just like a house of cards, it's amazingly strong until somebody comes along and pushes it sideways.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Glad it went well. FWIW..hollows such as the one pictured are bull strong. When one side of the stem is shot strength goes way down but hollow with a thick rind of solid wood is tough.

well the main stem hollow I wasn't really worried about but the limbs ended up haveing multiple hollows in them....rig off and stayed tied into had me skeered...But I hear ya

FYI that main hollow went all the way through to a branch collar on the back to one on the front ...weird:what:

Wow, have never seen cribbing done to that tall extent. I'd like to show it to my crane guy and get his response. He uses a lot of sand bags as well, on irregular ground. Glad the job went well.

Which tree was it, the one behind the crane or the one inside the fence? For the cost of the crane, couldn't you have pulled a couple sections of fence and flopped it? I guess it doesn't look so big in the pictures, but I know you have some tall trees there.

As far as the cribbing, the crane doesn't care as long as it's solid and level. My only concern would be shock loading the crane and shaking it off the cribbing. Just like a house of cards, it's amazingly strong until somebody comes along and pushes it sideways.

inside the fence...crane cost 4 bills. hard to tell from pics. Is was not real big

Cribbing is an art form. Couple of my subs amaze me. Front bumper 8 feet in the air. Solid as a rock and I even shock loaded the boom 1 time (this was a long time ago) with a big limb and no prob. Looks scary tho

BTW this operator has had front almost 8' in the air

the cribbing is 6x6x4...with mats under. Front stabliszer was mainly to get cribbing under outriggers, and was left for reversing the process.

set up was 45 min,.. 30 to take down. 2.5 hrs of fly time, total of 4hrs for crane

Hell...I know yall got pics of crazy cribbing.....no?

70 ton up on a few sticks....few months ago

Thanks Deva....Howz it Cali side?

Was the truck level? Cause in that one pic just before the hollow stem picture, it looks like the front is about 2 feet higher than the rear. Maybe it's just the camera angle.

Was the truck level? Cause in that one pic just before the hollow stem picture, it looks like the front is about 2 feet higher than the rear. Maybe it's just the camera angle.

pic 5 is level...the rest are building it up...

I have never used a crane that was not level..:/: have you?

That's why I was asking. The picture makes it look like the front is way too high. But then everything is flat around here, so I'm not used to viewing things uphill. :|:

slopes are decieving here. Some cranes roll with two trucks for plenty of cribbing...

you sub your crane?

Yes, I've been using the same guy for 10 or 15 years now. He's got a 35 ton and a 50 ton. We're like a finely choreographed ballet when we work together. It's a beautiful thing to behold. :D

Back