028 Super

Tucker943

Bamboo Plantation Owner
Any thoughts on this saw based on experience? I picked one up today in excellent shape off a guy for $120 bucks. He was hard up for money and I wanted a solid "chipper saw" for the guys. You have to pull it a bit to get it to run and it dies once you wind it up. I figure drop it off at a dealer and get it right and it'll be another ground saw. I'm in thrifty mode right now because I am uncertain what this year will bring.

Are these saws decent or known to be steming piles of shat?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
No responses yet? I guess the House is a bit quiet at the moment........

The 028 was a real good saw. But the symptoms you describe are troubling. It could be something as simple as a carb adjustment or it could be signs of low compression or a leaky crank seal. So it could be a deal or it could be an expensive shelf decoration in need of a rebuild.

You're spookin me Skwerl! My next thread might be "028 for parts or repair....$120 plus shipping!"

I imagine it is in the fuel delivery .More times than not that's the problem . Most likely a carb that needs rebuilt .

As far as the saw itself my only experiance was one I worked on this winter,carb kit I believe .It seemed to run good when I tested it .

Of course a ten minute test drive and running all day could yield different results

I'll say this about an 028 ,super or otherwise. If that or any saw can hold up to the rigors of a ground saw for a tree trimming company it's got to be pretty tough .An 028 will do just that if it's not just plumb worn out .

Here's what it does. You pull, pull, pull and so on at full choke to start it. It fires and runs and you bump it up to half choke. It then starts winding right up sky high than cuts right off.

Starving for fuel. Or too much air in relation to the amount of fuel. So you either have a fuel blockage or an air leak. It's either carb or crank seals (assuming compression is good).

They are very durable saws. I ran them for years as an inbetweener saw for blocking down a tree. The 28 is not speedy as far as saws go these days but the 28's had some good bottom end torque for as small as the engine was. If memory serves me right they are just a little shy of 3 cubes.

The WB's and the Wood Boss Super's were the best of the 028 line. I still have 2 WB's and 2 Supers but they are basically retired and need some attention but still run decent after all these years.

You didn't overpay. Average price for an 028 in average condition is about $150. One in super good running condition and looks good cosmetically will bring about $ 250. Which is about what they cost new back in the 80's.

I drag mine out every once in a great while to do some dirty work and they always start even with old stale mix in the tank that has been sitting for at least a year. They are good saws.

"Back in the day" that being the early to mid 80's for me the 028 was the 'gotta have' saw if a guy had only one saw and used a chainsaw regularly. The are a bit slow and somewhat heavy for the power they put out but over all a really good saw.
I'm sorry to hear she doesn't run. I can hazard a guess and tell you if the guy before you has run it recently (as in the past year or so) and stored it with fuel in it. It's the &^%)**%*&!!!! Ethanol. I hate this SHAT they call fuel today. My 011, 015, 024 and my buddies 026 and 028 have ALL been "ethanoled". By that I mean to these older saws ethanol is poison to them. It eats the heck out of the older polymers/plastics in the carbs and fuel lines. Makes them hard and they crack. I'm gettin' real good and rebuilding carbs and changing fuel lines :roll:
I've switched to useing "race fuel" per the reccomendation for the regional stihl rep. He told me the the current fuel is giving them "fits" even with the new saws.
Anyhow please let us know what the problem turned out to be good luck!

Oh I don't know if mixed ethanol fuel eats up saw innards as much as it gets blamed for . I suppose though that some areas are just more plagued with ethanol fuel than others ,large metro areas perhaps .

It does appear though that the pump and metering diaphragms can get stiff as a board after a certain amount of time . These parts are made of buna n which isn't practically fond of alcohol in any form as also are the seals in most cases . Teatotalers so to speak .;)

I've set the saw on the work bench for now and I will drop it off one day this week to be fixed. I'm gettin busy for the year and dont have the time for any saw projects right now.

I'm not real enthusiastic about tinkering on saws when the temp is 10 degrees out myself . Now that it's warmer I'll get in gear and get a lot done in pretty short order .

Gee you got it pretty cold there Al. High 40's, low 50's during the day here right now.

Wow, that is great! Hopefully it didn't score the piston sucking air in the fuel line and running lean. How's it running now?
:)

My experience with the way the problem has been described, is more often than not, a stiff metering diaphragm. Those are durable saws as mentioned, but heavier than the 034...maybe even the 036 as well.

I suppose it's just relative to the age of the thing .

When I did some work on the 028 Super of Tom's last winter I of course test drove it a tad bit . It was heavy for it's size but not too bad .Maybe around the weight of an 038 give or take a little . It didn't have the azz of an 038 but it doesn't have the engine size either . I think a super is just a tad over 3 cubic inchs .

I didnt fix her.....just diagnosed. I'm in the early days of quitting smoking as I've mentioned elsewhere here and my attention span is short. I feel like I'm bouncing from task to task. I figured out the saw's problem and was off to another task within moments.

Back