ABoK on Half Hitches, Timbers, why a Scaffold is stronger than noose etc.

• Thread starter TheTreeSpyder
  • Start date
  • Replies 1
  • Views 1K
T

TheTreeSpyder

Lacings 1662, 1663, 1707 all show Half Hitches that are alike, save for the position of the nip / Hold fast/ pinch that holds the knot. 1662 is the worst, where the nip is close the the Standing (Tension) Part, where the forces pull away from the spar most. A slipped Half (1664) is higher regarded. The icons of skull and anchor on 1662, 1663 are the author's shorthand notation of worthiness and trust.

From this, it is easy to see that 1663, is the best Half, for where it finishes- where a Timber should thus finish, the point of most pinch / nip (if a convex point). For a Timber would be the same as 1663, only with some Turns around itself in between.

But, in the Timber, i think we will find more strength also if we fortify the Standing with a Round Turn, rather than a simple Turn, like is suggested in #1669. This would also be why more turns around for a Scaffold / Double Noose is stronger than a single Noose, with just 1 Turn to 'weaken' by such a sharp, sudden deformation in the line. But with 2 Turns i think we get the same deformation over a longer distance (for less impact of change) as well as fortification of this important point.

These are all hitches for right angle of pull away from the spar, so that the Standing pulls inline to the turn around Spar etc. But, 1773 is from the next chapter on pulls inline to the spar. Separated for their mechanical and lacing differences, by direction; even though both are on a spar. 1773 is also a Half Hitch of a different type. But, notice if you made a Half hitch like 1662, 1663 or 1707, then placed a Timber behind it, it would be a Marl b4 a Timber.

The Half Hitch b4 Timber if pulled off, the Half melts into nothing. But a Marl done so, will leave an OverHand knot. The Timber needs an inline to itself (so right angle to spar) pull, not to be leveraged in comparison to the initiating pull of the Standing Part. So when inline pull on spar (that would make leveraged pull on Timber, we correct the error by giving 2 (or more) grab points, and giving inline resistance to the Standing by the leg of tension exiting the Marl or Half, then entering the Timber. But, then also, the tension is reduced to the Timber, so even though it is leveraged by position, perhaps not leveraged in force per the initiating pull of the Standing tension.

Attachments

• abokHalfHitches.JPG
    abokHalfHitches.JPG
    176.4 KB · Views: 13
  • abokTimbers.JPG
    abokTimbers.JPG
    143.8 KB · Views: 13
Super info Spidey!

#1733 is what I use to catch bigwood with, I call it two half hitches locked off with a timber hitch.

I think it's the best knot to catch wood with because the bend in the rope doesn't exceed 90 degrees at the critical focal point of the ropes highest dynamic load.

Very educational Spidey, thanks.

jomoco

Last edited by a moderator:
Back