Anyone used this, Arborol.

Crikey, I thought this was a bong.

blocks_image_2_1.jpg

There are a couple proponents of veggie oil here on the forum. Most do not think it is worth the expense, inconvenience or mess to deal with it.

There are hundreds of millions of gallons of oil used in this country every day. If every single treeman in the country quit using petroleum based bar oil and started using veggie oil, the difference in oil consumption wouldn't even register. It is such a miniscule percentage of total use that it's a joke.

Some people get real anal about the supposed pollution done by chainsaws regarding bar oil . I personally think it's a crock of condensed horse chit .

I'll bet more oil gets thrown on the stretch of I-75 that goes through here in one week than all the saws emit in one year .

It's sort of like stopping your truck on the interstate to pick up a gum wrapper on the side of the road. Yeah, you eliminated one tiny piece of trash but you used more oil by stopping to pick it up.

If you figure in how much petroleum oil it takes to process and bottle veggie oil, it's not as economically sound as one might think.

Then there's the whole negative 'using food as fuel' argument going against it as well. Thanks to the increased use of ethanol, food prices have skyrocketed in the last couple years. I'm completely against using food to make oil. Petroleum oil is the most abundant fuel source on the planet by far. Nothing else comes close.

I too agree this so called "green movement " is nothing but a well rehearsed scam . Billions have been squandered in the interest of environmental concerns
Ethanol for example takes one unit if energy to produce 1.8 out . Not to mention taking food stuffs to produce usable fuel when other methods would work better .

Coal for example has every component in it as does crude oil it's just it's form is different . Money would be better spent on the technoligy for cleaner uses of this abundant commodity than making high tech moonshine stills . All the later does is make a cause for 7 dollar a pound beef and 2 dollar a dozen eggs .

No, I think this os OK.
I have yet to try it, but more and more here run it.
I brought this up in a old thread after I saw it on Elmia two years ago I think.

This is nothing new that there is water in the oils... There kind of have to be...
What is new is that it is mixed by user.

It works very well and I doubt it is much better for environment than anything else...

Yah, I'm sticking with. We are a fluke of nature with no higher purpose, and when we've destroyed the plant we will all die off. It's up to us how fast that happens.

I have used bio-oil when cutting over and near a couple of koy ponds clients of mine have. Seems to be better for the fishies, dunno.

It's not like the blow off of chain oil can be compaired to the wreck of the Exon Valdez . Maybe if a person were cutting next to a pristene open body of water or something it might be a concern .Otherwise it would make sense that the oil would just be absorbed and broken down by the very action of nature .I mean after all it was plant life at one time or another before it was oil .

I used the Stihl bio oil for many years until it was no longer available. It was about 4 times the cost of regular Stihl oil but I felt better doing my small share to reduce pollution. If you're not part of the solution, then you're part of the problem.

I worked for a "green" douchebag who insisted on using veggie oil, recycled veggie oil no less. The stuff sucked. It didn have enough tackifier to stick to the drivers, chains stretched like mad. Hot chains dull quicker, loose chains throw easier, guys get more fatigued running saws that aren't running properly. All factors are a net increase in energy usage, So how exactly is he "green" oil better for the environment?:evil:

I feel strongly enough about it to do what I can to help, rather than just saying, "screw the environment."

I don't think the bar oil is a big deal myself. My comments were more referring to a general attitude towards the environment. 8)

I had to laugh a little bit when an owner of another web site got on that kick .He ran his saws using salad oil or something .Then they sat for a while .

Afterwards they were as plugged up as a bulls arse at fly time .No pumpy oil no more .

I think ole Stumper just uses it because it's cheap being rather frugal ya know .;)

I feel strongly enough about it to do what I can to help, rather than just saying, "screw the environment."
It's one thing to be concerned and another thing to be anal retentive about things .

If a person were really that concerned about oil drippings they would not own an automobile or a chainsaw and live like the Amish . Damned few people will actually do that . Talkin the talk is a lot different than walking the walk .

I don't preach ,unlike some people .;)

Nor do I dump motor oil on the ground .It gets saved in a barrel and burned in a waste oil burner . I recycle just about everything possible .

I don't however worry about a few oil drippings that get absorbed by nature .Oil belongs on saw bars .Salad oil belongs on salads .To reverse them would cause the ruinination of saw bars and chains and a severe case of the scoots to the salad eaters with a goodly dose of 10W 30 on the salad .Mercy :O

I've done something positive... I ditched all the CFL's in the house and put incandescent lamps back in.

The energy they save pales in comparison to the additional resources and energy required to make them, then re-cycle them.

I run both kinds of oil.

My "normal" oil is Bailey's Motion-Lotion, which I import myself directly from Baileys.
Which btw. caused a lady from the customs office to call me and ask, why a logging company had imported 100 gallons of hand lotion?:lol:

Whenever I contract log for the State Forest Service, I have to use biodegradable oil, in my case Canola oil.

It will wear out a bar in about ½ the time of "normal oil", apart from that the only thing I don't like about it is that when you spill some on a hot muffler, it smells like french fries.
Really screws you up, if you haven't eaten for a long time:D

I've done something positive... I ditched all the CFL's in the house and put incandescent lamps back in.

The energy they save pales in comparison to the additional resources and energy required to make them, then re-cycle them.
I had to laugh when they first got on that kick like it was something new .

Self ballasted gaseous discharge lights are old as the hills .The only thing that CFL's do differently is the shape which just increases the surface area for illumination . Technically they are supposed to be recycled as hazardous waste because of the mercury content .

If want good illumination use a combination of regular flourescent lighting in conjection with incandescent bulbs for area lighting .

Back