Saddle issues Double D,s Separate Straps

• Thread starter Johnny O
  • Start date
  • Replies 26
  • Views 3K
J

Johnny O

My Weaver saddle # SAD304 has 2 front D's on seperate straps. Is it okay to biner through both D's to tie in? Or should I get a 3/8 delta screw link? Or a double figuire Eight through both D,s. Please advise.
Thanks,
Johnny O

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Double D,s

Nope you can not get rid of one D. You will end up hanging cockeyed.......or by one leg only. Crazy set up. I will work it out. Thanks for info. I like to keep things simple. With no weak links.
Johnny O

Get a "spreader snap"; it's made for those saddles, and lets you gain a little room in the process.

WT Sherrill item #16011. One clip to each side D, then your line clips/ties into the middle.

Ahhh, an old style butt strap saddle! I climbed in that style saddle for many years, never wanted or needed a spreader snap. Just clip into both Ds, ezpz.

Yup.. tie both together .. No worries...
And hey I like my double D :P... But my center D's float so they rarely get clipped together... Sweet for double crouching or other fun positioning :D

I always just clipped them together on my old Buckingham. Now I just use it to pull vehicles out of the ditch.

No, not stock. On the advice from Burnham, I removed the stock (which tears the hell outta the bridge, BTW) dee and replaced it with a carabiner and a roller. You can barely see the roller, but it's there. To this day, the bridge is still intact. Most excellent!

Mine must hold up better then because I don't put the hours in mine that you do Butch. I will have to try that trick so it holds up better in the long run.. Thanks :)

sorry your having troubles with your double d's, might need a more experienced hand:/:

4 dee saddles SUCK.

Here's what you need...

I climb in the 4-D version of this saddle. Much better than the old butt-strap style. I've never tried a sliding D. Thinking about it though. How long will the bridge last with a roller? Is it hard to balance in the saddle when suspended mid-air and reaching out to cut a limb one-handed? (No, I didn't say what you heard me say.) In other words, any task that involves reaching out to the side with little/no foot support. I invision rolling over to one side, and losing the desired control of whatever is trying to be accomplished. With a solid 2-D hook-up, I have total control over ceneter of gravity as far as my saddle is concerned.

with your 2 dee, you turn inside the saddle, with floating dees, the saddle turns with you. i like floating much better

No, not stock. On the advice from Burnham, I removed the stock (which tears the hell outta the bridge, BTW) dee and replaced it with a carabiner and a roller. You can barely see the roller, but it's there. To this day, the bridge is still intact. Most excellent!

I have done the exact same thing to my saddle, but it looks like you cut the sides off the roller to make it shorter. If so, why?

I did the same with my Buckingham Traverse - cut the dee rings off and replaced them with a carabiner & roller. It weighs less, floats easier, will last longer, and has fewer connecting links in my climbing system which is safer.

I also cut about 1/8" off each end of my roller. It helps to keep it from pinching my shirt between the biner & the roller and tearing little holes.

Back