A near miss.Very bad.

darkstar

Rockclimber/ treeclimber
Ive never done this myself .
Apprently its pretty common to open the cover on the disc of a running BB chipper when it get clogged up.
WHAT ???? No way
Anyhow one of my crew members opened up the disc cover and something caught it and threw the entire thing about 30 feet.
It ripped the disc cover off so hard it bent the hinge pin.
There are heat metal tear marks.
Ill get photos .
It nearly took his head off.
Stupid stupid stupid idea.....

Sounds like you need to fire him. If he's stupid enough to do that, then he will also be stupid enough to get somebody injured or killed. You cannot afford to have that walking liability claim working for you. He needs to get a job as a clerk at McDonalds or something.

When I was working in Austrailia, one of the groundies in another crew did exactly the same thing, but the cover hit him square in the face. I believe he needed a lot of reconstructive surgery to put him back together. Fool.

you got lucky there Jerry.....good thing he wasnt killed. I think there was a recent death I read about at the buzz where a company had wired their safety pin in. It came open with a dude next to it and killed him instantly. If you don't fire him I would at least document the near miss and write him up for it.

Didn't this happen before to you Jerry??

I am pretty sure this has been a topic here before.

Ya wow, that seems like a crazy plan to me to open things up while they're running. Never ever would I do that.

Fire him right on the spot. If not for your own liability, for his safety. Thats a real cowboy move, not a small goof up.

I hate letting someone go, usually, but if I know they lack enough good sense to keep themself alive, than our roads must part right then and there.

Working on machinery that is running, is a major cause of injury, particularly farm injury. I've been bitten too. I fired myself.

I'm sure he got the shit skeered outta him.....If he is a good employee, I would have a "word of prayer" with em and let em know serious it was and keep...............what doesn't kill you, makes you smarter;)

I'm with No Bivy on this one. See how he responds to a serious discussion about it. A good lesson if he's reasonably intelligent.

I have a BB 250 and I'm wondering what the plan would be in opening up the cover to 'unclog' it. I've never had a hint of mine wanting to clog up but it is autofeed and the largest engine they make for the 250 too. My old CnD used to get clogged up at times, never thought to open it up while still running as being any kind of advantage in clearing things out.

+1 for John and Jay's idea.

A huge proponet of all things safety and SRT did the exact same thing back in the day. Split his wig and required stitches.

I have a BB 250 and I'm wondering what the plan would be in opening up the cover to 'unclog' it. I've never had a hint of mine wanting to clog up but it is autofeed and the largest engine they make for the 250 too. My old CnD used to get clogged up at times, never thought to open it up while still running as being any kind of advantage in clearing things out.

if it plugs up and doesnt stall out, disengage the clutch, shut it off, either wait till the belt quits moving or if your in a hurry use the clutch to stop the disc. put the key in your pocket and open her up.

Punch him off. "reasonably intelligent" does not apply here. Whatever twisted thought process that led to that evolution will happen again. You don't want anything like that going on in your operation, get rid of him.:evil:

if it plugs up and doesnt stall out, disengage the clutch, shut it off, either wait till the belt quits moving or if your in a hurry use the clutch to stop the disc. put the key in your pocket and open her up.

Thanks Willie. I didn't word my post properly, yes I know how to safely open up the cover(I do change my own knives):D.

What I had meant was I can't see any advantage to opening the thing while it's still running? Why would someone even think to do that?

Back