BMG Death Spike

lumberjack

Young man on the go
A piece that would be welded to the front of the hanger, used for pushing trees over and such. Credit for the name goes to John. :)

Turning it on a lathe would be easiest, but a mill could also be used.

Who wants one?

ive pushed with my bmg before but i prefer to put the forks in the back cut and curl

Mine is a welded version.....works good on trees less then 10" or so.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Why so small, John? Yesterday I pushed a 25-27" DBH pine with my lowly Thomas.

Not against a backlean I'm guessing. If you were pushing the tree in the direction it was going to fall anyways it's not really pushing.:P

Ha neutral enough lean, back weight. Yesterday morning I pushed over a back leaning, back weighted 30" Hackberry. Granted it was the bottom 8-10' feet of spar. :lol:

Of the spike, Willie? For mine I was planning on chucking up a piece of 2" or so round bar and turn a 60* or so angle on it and weld to the front of the BMG. If that didn't work to my liking, get a piece of square bar and cut a bevel on it, weld on and repeat.

We used a push pole all the time back when I worked for Asplundh. Two to four guys can push a lot with a 14-foot push pole. For that matter, one man can move more than you would think. I have two push poles...one's about ten feet long, the other a 14-footer. Really handy in line clearance...not so useful in the residential landscape. It's handy for those times when tipping pressure is all that's needed. Watch out on windy days though.

yeah.....with spike on the front of the branch manager grapple

heres mine...before my latest uni mod

Of the spike, Willie? For mine I was planning on chucking up a piece of 2" or so round bar and turn a 60* or so angle on it and weld to the front of the BMG. If that didn't work to my liking, get a piece of square bar and cut a bevel on it, weld on and repeat.

yup, i thought you had built one already, might be usefull for getting employees to move faster:/:

Come on, Carl, give ol' Dave a break.

I will say this about his pusher, it has way more latitude than a single point.

I'm sure you have heard the term "Pike Pole" The concept you are working towards. And there is no if's and's or but's about it, it does work.

Dave calls his pusher, "The Moose Head." Go figure, hey?

Haha ask Dave! He's the one that told me he was scared of getting sued by someone running into the spike.

The Moose Head is well built, for sure.

what the hell yall.......just weld one on if you want. No one is taking biz from Dave, and dang sure to moose thingy would be a bit bulky on the mini

If you are concerned that someone might get snagged on the spike (and for it to be effective, it needs to be sharp), it would be an easy matter to drill a hole through it and pin it in like a receiver hitch. That way, it could be removed when not in use. It would be even better if the spike were mounted on the end of a steel pipe or tube, say four feet long. That would allow you to reach higher on the tree, thereby gaining more leverage. Two by two steel tubing would be ideal, I would think. If I had a mini I'd definitely like to have the ability to quickly push over trees that afforded the opportunity to do so.

Back