probably a dumb question

Paul B

I dig hammocks.
I bought a new chain for my MS260 yesterday, well, I called and ordered it at least, I asked my wife to go pick it up and when she got home at the end of the day I had a WTF!? moment when I saw the invoice.
They put 2 chains on the invoice and in the bag, their reasoning was that they sell you one chain and the second is half price so they assumed thats what I would do...

My query is, what is a fair price for a 16" chain, Oregon brand, 325-050 chisel?

FWIW, I paid $36.18 for the first one and $18.09 for the second and I arent a happy camper.

Bonus of the deal, the new chain cut like a hot knife through water, compared to the worn out chain I had on the saw. I need to learn how to sharpen the chain better by myself, that goes without saying. :)

Oregon chain here in town for which you are speaking size and all... About what you paid for the half price chain.. In USD
Baileys is where I buy most my chain at about half that plus shipping for the woodsman pro.. I think it's made by Carlton.
I would buy the Stihl chain before Oregon Paul.

Sounds a lil spendy but I could be wrong. I run a chisel chain on my Husky w/ 36" bar and LOVE how it cuts! I take my chisel chains in to be sharpened by a professional for $10 a pop and it's well worth it to me.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
.you got ripped, Paul.

I dont disagree Burnham, I will shop around a bit in the near future but I am pissed about this purchase.

one air filter for my little leaf blower, $1.89
first chain - $36.18
second chain - $18.09, how pissed off am I ?
priceless.
:)

grrr.

Paul, I could mail you 16 inch saw chain loops at $16 per plus shipping any day of the week and you'd probably be $10 ahead on each one. Betcha Gasoline Gary would too, for even less on the shipping. Holler if you want some help with that.

Burn, I will be calling you and ordering up chains, then afterwards I will be sending you starbucks gift card for half the difference in cost!

honestly though, I need to learn to sharpen the chains well, that will help, after that, I might be calling some of my American amigos to order up my new chains. :D

You got fooked big-time, Paul. I pay under $16 for the same chain.

Correct me if wrong, but I'm guessing you don't go through a lot of chain? So given that, Branch Dr. has an excellent observation, same price here, $10 or less to have the shop grind your chisel chain, easy peasy.

But don't hesitate, we'll take care of ya, bro.

Thanks Erik, I will now head to sleepytimes thinking about how big of an idiot I am. :)

frig me, sounds like I need to go tear a strip off the dude that sold my wife that saw chain.....

Correct me if wrong, but I'm guessing you don't go through a lot of chain? So given that, Branch Dr. has an excellent observation, same price here, $10 or less to have the shop grind your chisel chain, easy peasy.

Burn, you are right, I have had the saw for 3 years and this is the 3rd chain I have bought for it. have sharpened it a few times myself but never with the results of a good chain or practiced sharpener. I can absorb a silly priced new chain once in again but it just seemed a bit steep this time.

I sharpen my chain on my ms200t without any issues but for my big saw I need it to be sharp and uniform. I can't afford to have one side sharper than the other or a "kinda" sharp chain when I'm cutting big stuff up. That's why I take mine in.

I pay $1 USD per bar inch for a loop of full skip chisel Stihl chain...you got ripped, Paul.

I was gonna say this 'xactly, but danged ol' Burnham beat me to it. The $1 per foot is a good guidline.

Sorry Paulie. I'd go back and see them and even take the chain back. Unless you agreed on that price beforehand, you might have a leg to stand on.

Are ya talkin' Canuckabucks Paully? :)or USD? Either way it sounds a little spendy. To echo Jeff and Burnahm... 1 buck per bar inch is about right in the PNW area...

Stihl chain is harder than Oregon chain... might last a tad longer for ya.

If you need any chain type deals let me know... :)

Gary

Aw shit, you know what I meant! I'm three 22 oz. bottles of 10.2% Imperial Stout into this evening, so my typing is a bit...."off."

I won't argue about Stihl chain ,it's damned good stuff . I usually use Carlton or Oregon and usually order them from Baileys or sometimes Amicks .The price is about the same .

An example usually 3/8" chain is around 22 cents per drive length . Which would be about 15 bucks for a 72 driver chain .Often these are on sale for 12 bucks or so .

For the price you paid I bought a 143 driver .404 loop for a 48" bar .

That's even more than what you'd end up paying in my neighborhood, and I've never seen more expensive chain than what they get for it here.....previously that is.

26 cents per drive link is retail I think....

but I dont buy Oregon anymore...sthil by the roll here

Paul, you really need to learn how to sharpen your saw. On short bars, it ain't hard to learn at all. But you gotta start somewhere.

The second chain was priced about right, so you're only out the extra $18 you spent on the first chain. You can spend almost that much going out to lunch with the wife and Bub. Sounds like a cheap lesson learned.
:)

Yup Paul that's a little spendy but not to bad when you consider the exchange rate and numbers that these guys are talking. I bought two chains for my 32" bar yesterday for only slightly more than what you paid though. This fall Paul we can do a little filing clinic if you end up at my place during the PNW gettogether. Plenty of saws and wood around here.8)

Remember we always pay more because Canada is just that awesome of a place to live.:D

my local dealer sticks pretty close to retail. probaby be around 25 bucks a loop. thats why i buy rolls. if your running .063 i can help you out paul

Back