2 tough starting 038's

dastevoe

Wood Hacker
Grabbed my (2) 038's,1 mag & 1 super, to take to the woodlot to get some cutting time on them after rebuild/port job. Do you think I could get those suckers started ? Just about wore my arm out :X:X.
So I pulled the filters dribbled in a bit-o-mix and after a couple attempts they start.Ran great in and out of the wood. Shut it off and set it down for 5-10 min., then back to the tug of war :? Whats goin' on here ??
The mag. wasn't as ornery but when I got home (~1hr),I thought I'd give them another go,well.....no-go :X
Any ideas ?, didn't put carb kits in at rebuild though.Also saws have been sitting in heated shop for a couple of weeks.
Thanks
Steve

Pull the carbs and blow then out with compressed air .If the innards are stiff,rebuild them . The mag most likely has a Bing which you will have to google to find a kit but they are out there . . Oregon part number 49-868 .

Chances are the check valves stiffened up on them causing them to not pump at starting speed with the rope . Once they fire ,they pump OK .

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks Al, I have to pop in to the Stihl dealer tomorrow so I'll ask about kits .I'll probably put kits in to be safe.
You've been a big help on these two projects, Thanks again.

You can buy them through Stihl if you like .You will however pay about triple the price . To give you an idea the Bing gasket kit cost me 6 bucks about 8 months ago .

Let us know what the almighty Stihls gets for them,should be interesting .

I have a Stihl kit for the Bing carb on the 038 magnum (1119-007-1066) as well as an opened Oregon gasket kit #615-868 that appears unused. I no longer have the saw and the guy who bought it didn't want the carb kit. Make me an offer on it.

No I was just joking Brian. As we discussed probably not worth the shipping to send it up here. One day I may kick myself but last time I fired that saw it ran like a top. I never run that sucker, I'm keeping it as a collector saw. It's mint that beast.8)

I could never figure it out .Some saws will run forever without doing a danged thing to the carb and others need rebuilt on a regular basis .:?

It's not a big deal to rekit a carb just a general nuisance at times .

What's the best way to get carb kits online? I know Bailey's has a bunch, but were out of stock last time on the 036PRO and 020T. I've also got an 011AV here that appears to be gummed up.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Here's the GOUGE,$35.00 for the complete BING rebuild kit,$17.00 for the tillotson plus taxes :what:
While I was there I talked to one of the TECHIES and he told me to have a good look at how the choke flapper was seating .
Came home,cleaned carb as per Al S. ,made sure choke flapper was fitting A-OK,3 pulls, the Super runs :D.Same procedure on the Mag. ,however every time I choke it the bottom of the filter flexes away from the carb (just slightly,but noticeable), NO STARTY. So I switch filters from Super to Mag, ensure it's fitting nicely ,3 pulls away she goes.
Pretty basic stuff,but not if you're a greenhorn like me :? I guess thats why I'm here asking questions.
I guess a new filter is in order !
Thanks
Steve

I don't know why they came up with the bright idea to put the choke in the filter .Kinda dumb in my opinion .

Baileys have an after market 038 filter for 15 bucks but it's wire mesh .Not nearly as good as a flocked filter . I imagine about the only place to get the flocked one is through Stihl at most likely twice that .

Back