Jerry's great DVD Set!!

rangerdanger

TreeHouser
Even though many of you know how great his new DVD set, the Work Climber Series One are, I thought I would put this up anyway in praise of it and Jerry!! Even after I thought I'd read everything on throwlines, I walked away from the one hour DVD feeling like I could hit just about any shot I took!! No Arbor Master video has done that!! And after watching the second, I felt pretty good about trying the foot lock again tomorrow!! (I gave up trying during the bitter cold winter!)

Thanks again Jerry!! I don't see where you get the time to do all of the work that goes into a set like this!!

Ain't it cool!

johntravolta.jpg

I agree - Working Climber is way better than any of the Arbormaster videos. By far the best training video on climbing techniques I've ever seen.

Heck yeah! Jerry's got plenty of tricks in his bag. I'm glad he is able to make some money off of it to. I'd rather my money go to him.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
YEAH!! Jerry's vids are definitely more practical than any Arbor Master video ever will be!! He makes it simple for the beginner, but includes enough information so anyone can walk away with something new!

Jerry, I have a new young climber, son of an experienced climber. What dvd set do you recommend and what is the cost?

Some things Gerry's series covers that the Arbormaster series don't:
1. How to advance a flipline while spur climbing on a large diameter tree
2. How to traverse from one tree to another
3. How to install a friction saver in a conifer so it can be retrieved
4. How to get your throw weight to come back to you after setting it over a branch 30 ft away
5. How to set your friction hitch on a short tether for ascending
6. How to use SRT in 3 (+?) ways

I've spent the last week having to watch a multitude of training videos. It's all I can do to keep my eyes open. When it's finished and the trainer asked what we learned from the video it's all I can do to remember what I actually watched.
I can't help comparing these videos to Jer's "Working Climber" in the sense that it's also a training video. Now, I've been involved in his production every step of the way but still, everytime I watch it I am glued to it and afterwards I have questions--lots of questions. We always end up in a big discussion on some aspect of the video. Working Climber is interesting, informative, and entertaining. If I were a new climber/arborist I would be thrilled to have such a tool.

The world of tree climbing and tree work never entered Terri's mind before she met me. In fact one day she confessed, "I never knew the industry even existed like it does."

Today she can watch people climb and work in a tree with the understanding of what they are doing, and whether or not what they are doing is considered correct or improper.

She's darn near a critic now.

Last edited:
Great job Jerry. Just finished watching your "Working Climber" video. It is the best how to video I have ever bought. Now if only I could find a splicing video of that quality I may just be able to get the hang of that too. Thanks again Jerry.

More CHEERS for G.F.B ... I feel that I've made quite a study of Gerry's work reading and re-reading his books and studying the photos for detail .... also repeated viewings of the videos , many times the old black and whites from "Fundamentals" come to life in color .... anyways the training videos came out GREAT ! I only wish that they had been there for me earlier .... Thanks Gerry !

I got my dvd's a few weeks ago and have been watching them on and off and over and over since then. I gotta say I love'em. It's not only that the information is first rate it, it's how it's presented. Gerry comes across as a "nuts and bolts" sort of guy who's been there and done that. Not that he's bragging - but that he wants you - the viewer- to learn from his first hand experiance. But he also show's he's a member of the "real world" by often saying (to paraphrase) "....this is how it "should" be done but often you can't....." and proceeds to give an alterative. Most other video's I've seen simply say "Don't do this....." and give no alternate solution.
Oh, and BTW my daughter liked the dachshound, horses and the rabbit in the throwline dvd. (I missed the rabbit but she saw it the first time :what:) :lol:
Really though GREAT WORK and I can't wait for more!

Now if only I could find a splicing video of that quality I may just be able to get the hang of that too. Thanks again Jerry.

Check out the Brion Toss video. I have it, and it is very good.

I met Brian Toss at a TCIA expo back in 97. He was giving a splicing demonstration at a booth. I didn't know who he was then, but his demo certainly caught my attention.

Brian Toss is a most eloquent public speaker and instructor. A good teacher. I never watch his splicing video, but I'm sure that it is as good as I watch first hand.

Thanks for the input guys. I just got my new Wespur catalog I may just have to make another order soon.

Yahhhhh. Just got my copy of 'working climber' out of the mailbox. I'm gonna kick back, relax, and soak 'er in.8)

Toss's DVD must be good went to order it today from Wesspur and it is on back order. I guess I'll just watch Jerry's again.

Back