hitch cord question

• Thread starter wll
  • Start date
  • Replies 13
  • Views 2K
W

wll

i like the eye splice but bailout must be tied. i was wondering if anyone else uses a cover from one rope over a core from another. that way i get my cake and eat it too.

Keep in mind that part of the reason that Bailout feels the way it does is because of the core that is inside it. If you pull it out and replace it with the core of beeline (for example) you're going to end up with a different rope that may not behave the way you'd like.

Sounds like it's worth a try.

love
nick

Honestly, no. I called a couple times to see if I could get some for free/cheap from samson, but the guy I wanted to talk to was out the THREE times I called. Didn't want to buy enough footage to splice a break a bunch of slings, I guess...

Might just have to go ahead and do that!

love
nick

I used Vectran core from HRC to make a bridge (two in parallel actually) and covered them with the jacket from some old kernmantle.
I think it's wise to use the strength rating of only the core material.

It seems to me like it would be a pretty bad idea to pull the core out of one line and replace it with something else. You'd have no way of knowing how it affected the strength of either part, or how the two would interact. You could end up with all sorts of unpredictable things happening.

Why not splice Bail Out ?
It's a usual double Braid Splice, I did it :P

Nice Forum by the Way :D

Greetings from Austria,

Max

Why not splice Bail Out ?
It's a usual double Braid Splice, I did it :P

Nice Forum by the Way :D

Greetings from Austria,

Max

Max, can you clarify what you mean by "usual double braid splice?"

Using the proper directions for this rope, it would be samson class II double braid directions, which you can see here. However, doing so would be impracticle for an eye-eye hitch cord. The buries would be longer than the sling itself.

If you did the class I directions, it is currently a gamble. You should be able to get the splice together, but it hasn't been tested in this configuration.

Last I checked, Samson hasn't approved a splice for this rope.

love
nick

@ Master Blaster: Thanks ! :occasion5:

@ Nick: Yeah, you're totally right, I did it with a class 1 Rope Splice. I Use it on class 2 Ropes since a while now, and have no concernes about it at all !
A german Company I know will have some of these slings tested this Year, I let you know what comes out, okay ?

The class 2 Eye-Splice sucks, the class 1 is great ! :toothy10:

Back