Topping a Cottonwood.

Old Monkey

Treehouser
I had room to fall this but it had a defect down low that made me worry about its ability to get pulled away from its lean, so up I went. It was pretty straight forward. Its unfortunately the tallest removal I've done since I left California.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/F8f5QXDKZXY&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x402061&color2=0x9461ca"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/F8f5QXDKZXY&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x402061&color2=0x9461ca" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I think it was a little over 100'. I am from the San Francisco Bay Area, San Anselmo in Marin County. I used to climb eucs, redwoods, live oaks and doug firs. Now I climb loads of silver maples and cottonwoods. I miss the trees in California.

I do and I don't. I'm older now and those big trees can wear you out.

You need to give your video-guy a beer or two before filming. His hands are extremely shaky:D

It does feel good to take a fairsized top out, doesn't it.
I love that " the moment of truth" feeling, when it goes.

Thats cool Darin, the top you blew out there is about the size of the tree I took down on Friday. :)

I remember when I moved out to Bellingham from Central Washington. Having grown up around Yakima where Cottonwoods are usually the biggest trees in the neighborhood, I was like a kid in candy store staring up at all the big trees. Now I take it for granted, but I wouldn't trade it for the world.

This thread made me realize I haven't climbed a cottonwood in maybe three years, I almost miss them. At least if there's no rigging involved.

I'll swap my cottonwoods for just about any of your evergreen trees.

Back