Stihl top handles

Al Smith

Mac Daddy
Perhaps the evolution of the 200T I suppose .I imagine it got its' roots from the 020 top handle which is to the left in the picture .

Differences are that the 020 Top handle is a side carb ,side exhaust model and the 020 T and Ms 200 T's are top carb bottom exhaust .Plus the 020 TH is all metal and weighs a tad more .

From a design point I would think the 020TH would have the advantage in that the exhaust doesn't have to make a 90 degree bend to get out .

Attachments

• Stihl 020 top handle 001.jpg
    Stihl 020 top handle 001.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 209
  • Stihl 020 top handle 002.jpg
    Stihl 020 top handle 002.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 210
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I did some work on that 020 TH a few years back,seems maybe a seal and a carb rebuild . At the time I tested it against my old Poulan s-25 which weighed about the same and they cut at exactly the same speed .

The 020 had better balance but not nearly as good as the 020T or 200 T in my opinion .Then too I'm a saw mechanic and not trimmer so my opinion is only limited .

According to Tom the TH model will outcut the 020 T but I can't verify that .When it warms up a tad I'll take them for a test drive and find out myself .

About the only thing I found different on the 020 T and 200 was the fuel and oil caps .What else ,if any ,I'm not aware of .

Attachments

• Stihl 020 top handle 003.jpg
    Stihl 020 top handle 003.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 208
The biggest difference between the 020T and the 200T is that they moved a digit in the name. All of Stihl's saws got renamed that year and it had nothing to do with redesigning the saws. It was simply a name change. Other advancements were no more and no less than other model year advancements. Carbs and fuel tank breathers get 'updated' every couple years regardless of whether or not the name got changed. I'm not sure if the gas cap change was the same year as the name change or not.

Your basically on track with your findings Al. The 020T and 200's have a tad bigger engine than the old 020 Supers or the AV version.

Just repeating what I have picked up about a difference between the 020T and 200's is that the 020 T had a dual port transfer design, the 200's a quad tranfer design. The 200's are quicker to rev. There was a difference in carbs one having only one screw and the other 2 screws. Like I said I am only passing along info based on what others have commented on. I used to have an 020T and hated it. That one saw soured me for a long time when the new design of the 020 when they came out.

The 200's are better balanced than the old 020's but I think it is because they are lighter in constuction because they have more plastic in them. Which makes them easier to manuver with one hand which is no, no, but we won't go there for now.

You brought up the exhaust Al. I am going to toss this out on the table. As everyone knows the 200 doesn't use your typical square box for an exhaust. I also do mods on the exhaust to my 200's although I don't agree with everything I see but that is beside the point. The 200's exhaust design reminds me in a way of a tuned pipe only in a different design. If you look at the carbon build up in a muffler you can see which way the exhaust is flowing. That large square area on the muffler reminds of an expansion chamber on tuned round pipe to bounce back sound waves to make the most out of the scavenging side of cycle before the exhaust goes out that little rediculious exhaust hole.

Crazy idea or not??? If not it could explain why those saws are so quick revving along with the short throw on the connecting rod.

I tossed it out on the table after thinking about this way to much and need someone else's opinion.

The muffler on a an 020 T or 200 would act kind of like a can muffler in that it would hold a certain amount of volume .Whereas the the 020 TH has a baffled muffler

The way I look at a can is that it works on pressure build up not sound waves like a tuned pipe . . Theoretically when the pressure inside the can equals the cylinder pressure no more gas can be moved through the cylinder .

I don't think it stuffs any back in like a tuned pipe though . Opening up the hole a tad and removing the baffles just allows more flow which would suck more fuel .Of course it likely won't burn it all just have a more pure transfer resulting in a hotter power stroke .

Depending on the saw you can get about the same results removing the baffles in a baffled muffler but you might over run the carb .My do they get loud though ,mercy me .

You answered my question Al, and gave me a little more brain fodder to ponder on and think about. :lol::lol:

I have cracked my second exhaust on my 020t, always the bottom half, The saw has polished ports and the exhaust has been opened out a tad, I also fitted new rings when I polished the ports, luckily I have a spare exhaust that I have already opened up.

That will go on tomorrow before Mondays big tree.

I just got in from testing out the baby Stihls ,020 TH ,020 T and 200 T.

It took me a little while to get the 020 TH and 020 T going as they have sat for a while basically as back ups .

My 200T outruns both of them but due to the fact the 020T has the baffles still in place that makes sense . The 020TH doesn't do badly .I could crank it up but it isn't my saw so I'll let that up to Tom if he so decides to .

I even got his 084 running after sitting for a year ,one shot of prime,two pulls,it didn't even try to break my arm which I'm thankfull for .Now you talk about the sound of power,wow .

My poor old frozen finger got to aching with the cold so I'll give it up for the day . You screw up part of your poor old bod it comes back to haunt you later in life as some on this forum can attest to .:(

I just got in from testing out the baby Stihls ,020 TH ,020 T and 200 T.

It took me a little while to get the 020 TH and 020 T going as they have sat for a while basically as back ups .

My 200T outruns both of them but due to the fact the 020T has the baffles still in place that makes sense . The 020TH doesn't do badly .I could crank it up but it isn't my saw so I'll let that up to Tom if he so decides to .

I even got his 084 running after sitting for a year ,one shot of prime,two pulls,it didn't even try to break my arm which I'm thankfull for .Now you talk about the sound of power,wow .
My poor old frozen finger got to aching with the cold so I'll give it up for the day . You screw up part of your poor old bod it comes back to haunt you later in life as some on this forum can attest to .:(

Ain't that the truth, Al. That's about the only saw I get out and start up every so often just to hear it rumble.

Hmmm....I'm thinking about selling my 200T. It ain't gonna get used for a while. I'm thinking about getting it out of the garage....

That's what I'm thinking...the saw is barely broken in and I needs to get a Power Pole for the boat!

powerpole.jpg

I think I looked those up when you were talking about them before (power poles). They are pretty pricey... Are they really a serious advantage in the shallows?

Yeah, it'll run me about $2,000 with a remote, the 8' model and the "Stealth" pump.

And yeah, they're amazing for boat control.

Roger that Squishy. You're second in line. I've gotten out of saws a bit, and I don't even know what one is worth nowadays, so I'm watching ebay to see what they're going for. I want to sell it here, and I don't want to make a killing off a buddy here, so I'm just looking to get a "fair" price. I'll let ya know, 'migo.

Magnus, are you referring to the 40 mm 020 Super. If you are then yes they are here. I have 3 or 4 of them. Two of them were my primary climbing and bucket saws. Been meaning to restore one of them and go all out with the paint. I have the parts to do it just haven't gotten around to it.

I hope your not referring to a Super version of the MS 200. That wouldn't be so good as then I would have to dig deep into my pocketbook .:D

I am surprized no one has mentioned an 015 yet in the top handle version.

I'd like to get my hands on a ms200T also. Been using a Husky 338xpt for the last 5 years and will need to be replaed soon.

So Jeff, if you don't get any takers, pls keep me in mind for your saw!

BTW Jeff, with all the toys & attachments your putting on your boat, you'll probably be to buissy consentrating on the boats operation and likely wont have enough time actually fishing.

So if you ever need a hand catching fish...;)!!!

Bob

I'd like to get my hands on a ms200T also. Been using a Husky 338xpt for the last 5 years and will need to be replaed soon.

So Jeff, if you don't get any takers, pls keep me in mind for your saw!

BTW Jeff, with all the toys & attachments your putting on your boat, you'll probably be to buissy consentrating on the boats operation and likely wont have enough time actually fishing.

So if you ever need a hand catching fish...;)!!!

Bob

Lol! Roger that!

Roger that Squishy. You're second in line. I've gotten out of saws a bit, and I don't even know what one is worth nowadays, so I'm watching ebay to see what they're going for. I want to sell it here, and I don't want to make a killing off a buddy here, so I'm just looking to get a "fair" price. I'll let ya know, 'migo.

That's cool Jeff. Just let me know if you want to make a deal.8)

Gotcha. I'm watching a couple of auctions on Ebay to see what the going rate is, and I talked to Squoil and got his opinion.

I'm not looking to make a killing off TH'ers, just a fair price. If the dude with dibs ain't interested, or it doesnt' work out, you're my man Squishy.

Back