Twister

stig

Patron saint of bore-cutters
Just as I thought I had seen it all, they came up with something new!!

I was asked to take this oak down, as it is near a walk-path and may eventually fall by itself and according to Murphy's law and all, if it does, it'll be when a bunch of people are having a picnic under it.

It has been twisted by storm almost a full turn. There is a tremendous amount of energy stored in it, waiting to seize an unwary chainsaw.
The top is hung fairly solidly in a slightly smaller tree, and all the other trees around are way smaller. So no chance of getting above it, to cut the top loose from the other tree.
The last picture shows the trunk seen from the backside.
Of course I could fix a " Gerry Beranek redwood style" heavy wire in the top of it and pull it out with a D9 Cat, but I don't have reasonable access to that kind of gear.
I really can't figure which way it'll roll, when released from the stump and also I think it'll pretty much blow up when I set saw to it, even if I try to carefully "beaver" my way in from all sides.

I think I'll let the local demolition boys blow it off the stump or if that fails, try to put a chain around it and "beaver" away, hoping for the best.

I'm certainly no greenhorn when it comes to storm clean-up, but this one has got me stumped.

Suggestions, anyone?

Attachments

• P2270003.JPG
    P2270003.JPG
    46.5 KB · Views: 293
  • P2270004.JPG
    P2270004.JPG
    51.3 KB · Views: 295
  • P2270005.JPG
    P2270005.JPG
    51.1 KB · Views: 293
It reminds me of a rattlesnake, coiled up and ready to strike! :O

It almost looks like you could tie into that tree on the left, but the picture may be deceiving.

I'd probably just nibble away at the trunk trying to read it as I cut.

dynamite_1.jpg

Good grief...that one just shouts at me, "saw eater". The kind that just as you get it cut enough to move a little, it sits on the bar and then twists and grinds the bar and powerhead into a pretzel and a pile of small, expensive bits.

I'd try the binders on it, Stig. At least three. Then open it up with a series of shallow wedge shaped cuts to improve your chances of keeping the saw. Like Brett says, read as you go. You can do it...probably :).

This is a time where cutting with the outer portion of a long bar can add a little bit of space between you and the tree, a good thing imo.

Man is that a mess Stig!! I agree with Burnham, that sucker is just waiting to eat a saw!!
I am going to say it will roll to the right, but I'd have no idea where to cut it to unload it! Seems to me if you try an work the butt at all it's going to spring out at you.
Is there an option of a crane? Maybe just get the top out of the snag, blow it out, then lower the butt down? Once down you can carefully work your way back down to remove energy?
I like the demo option, but I see two? problems. They blow the stump and it's still hung. Ok, rope it and roll it out?
The other, if they can get charges set, without getting hurt, can the blow the whole stump without special charges?
I'll say, I'm glad it's not my baby!! Good luck man!

That has got to be one of the wierdest breaks I've ever seen. It is probably impossible to determine which way it will move once the cut starts. I like Burnham's idea of a long bar so you can stand a bit farther away.

Wicked looking! Love that tension wood, :|: even sawn up and dry material can still hold the stress and go nuts when pushed through a table saw.

Looks like unpredictable barber chair material there, need a haircut, Stig?

Be careful for sure!

nasty, doesnt look like something id want to try to cut. wary or not i doubt you could safely cut that let alone not lose a bar. any chance of winching a roll out of it? if blowing its an option i think id blow the tree its hung in

I think putting a chain binder or heavy ratchet strap around the trunk just above your notch might help reduce unexpected movement within the wood. I'd cut it, just use a saw with an old bar and waller out the cut a little at a time. Keep some wedges handy in case it sticks.

see the open part.....fill it with explosives and run.......dont forget to video it though:D

Stig a local nature center near me was hit by a tornado 20 years ago. They have oak trunk that looks just like that set in a display they have in there interpretive center. It is about 20" DBH. It does not look like it unwrapped it self when they cut it, but I can't say for sure as I was not there when they took it down. Good luck

coyote_acme.jpg

YUP:thumbup:

Hey John.... You ever look at the tree cannon mythbusters made.. ?
You may want to blow up a tree, but maybe shooting out of a tree would be cooler if you took out an ugly stick with the cannon ball LOL

Hey Stig... This might work HAHAHA

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/QC8jnSaCqxY&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/QC8jnSaCqxY&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I like the idea of throwing chain bucklers on it. I might score the trunk high and then low with my power polesaw to try to trigger any tension release at a safer distance. Then I would put a small face in it. Then I would go to my workshop and build a robot out of old scraps to sit at the base and make the back cut while I hid safely a great distance away.

Good luck and if things don't go well can I have your hot tub?

I reckon my plan would work;)
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/rWdpFZIdDqY&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/rWdpFZIdDqY&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Stig
ive done a few of those trees; bring your binders,(and a change of drawers) use several, and a line in the top to pull is nice,
sure a d-8 with 5/8 cable and choker would be handy but how a bout a 5/8 rope to another tree with a block, to a 4x4 tractor or truck for your pull,
trunk bound in several places
using a 32 or 36 in saw slowly scratch in your face and back cut,
step back and pull, if she doesnt go over, you may end up having to go in and nip a bit off here and there
when youre doing this, you will probabally sh1t up your neck, but the margarita afterwards helps
i wont lie ta ya i had my margarita 1st
and it was a pitcher, did my 1st one like that in 99 or 2000 in Illiana...i think i was between indiana and illinois in the south western end of the state, tornado screwed off trees for miles, my friend was a local reserve cop, he sent me to hard hit neighborhoods as soon as he seen them, great salesman
scary trees, i think a lil blasting would be cool if there were no targets nearby
good luck and be safe

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks for your input everybody.
I'll wait till we have a skidder on hand anyway and do the chainbinder thing. Once it is cut free from the stump, the skidder can pull it out of the tree it's hanging in.
I'll post some pics, once I get it done.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Don't worry, I'm not going to cut that one with my 18" bar.
I am actually a very cautious guy, which is why I've survived 30 years in this business with only a broken back, two bad knees and a busted hand to show for it;)

Back