Does the 192T have a muffler screen???

rangerdanger

TreeHouser
I'm curious if it does, and if I removed it, would it improve the performance. I know doing that to a 200T will improve it, but I didn't know if it would on the 192T. I was cutting through some 9 to 12 inch Ash yesterday and it bogged down a few times. So I'm looking to squeeze some more power out of it without doing any porting right now.

Yes it does, every production saw made has one. If you remove the screen, remember to richen the low jet on the carb.

It wasn't a total wash because you often times need just a tad on the low speed also so they idle correctly . Maybe let's just say retune the carb and be done with it .

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks guys. Hopefully I can give it a go this weekend.

Another question though, would do you mean by retuning the carb. Is that just adjusting the idle speed fuel flow screws?? (Sorry, I'm still new to this saw modding business)

Tuning the carb is NOT 'saw modding', it is basic maintenance. If you're going to run two cycle powered equipment for a living then you need to start learning a little about how they work and how to make sure they are running properly. Running a saw with the carb out of tune can result in destroying the motor. Most all of those stories you hear about "The saw just quit running and the motor was seized" are directly attributable to the operator not having a clue how to tune the carb. If your saw doesn't run perfectly, then ignoring it will not fix the problem. Yet so many saw owners do just that.

Here's a real good place to start. Read this page and then bookmark it for future reference.
http://www.madsens1.com/saw carb tune.htm

MB, you don't come across as not tech minded, just start tinkering.

Its pretty basic once you have a general understanding of the process.

Alright, I removed the screen a few minutes ago. My question is, do I just remove the screen or do I remove that outer flow director I think it's called also. It's the little piece held in by a screw that you remove to get to the screen.

It's a bit late to run and adjust it, so I'll do that tomorrow.

Cool! So that means all I have to do tomorrow is put the bar and chain back on, and adjust everything and I should be ready to go!!

Alright, I removed the screen a few minutes ago. My question is, do I just remove the screen or do I remove that outer flow director I think it's called also. It's the little piece held in by a screw that you remove to get to the screen.

It's a bit late to run and adjust it, so I'll do that tomorrow.

get a dremel, open up the hole behind the screen by 3x or so, then grind the lower opening in the deflector and the upper flange as well, leaving just enuf to deflect the gasses somewhat downward. Retune the carb, and she'll cut about 20% faster... It will burn thru some of the plastic on the cover, no big deal.

Best to tack weld the deflector on, that one screw tends to vibrate out.

Incredible flat learning curve about saws, after you tangle with one, you become an immediate expert. Then you can return the tools you've borrowed.

I agree. I've always wanted to spend a month working in a saw shop, and (unrelated) a year working with a logging crew.

get a dremel, open up the hole behind the screen by 3x or so, then grind the lower opening in the deflector and the upper flange as well, leaving just enuf to deflect the gasses somewhat downward. Retune the carb, and she'll cut about 20% faster... It will burn thru some of the plastic on the cover, no big deal.

Best to tack weld the deflector on, that one screw tends to vibrate out.

Thanks alot rbtree!!! Now that I've found out it isn't as complicated as I thought it was (and that I can replace the just the muffler box if I screw up some how) I might try that. For the moment, removing the screen should be enough.

There is next weekend though!!:D Going to be in the 60's8), so I can work outside!

Alright, looking for a bit of help and advice. I got the correct bits I need for the dremel, so I can widen the exhaust port a bit. First question, do I only need to retune the carb after I grind or is there something else I need to do besides just retuning the carb?

Well first remove the muffler before you get to hacking on it else you could fill the cylinder with shavings .This will make you weep and gnash your teeth .:(

With just a exhaust hole enlargement, it's unlikely that you are going to seize the piston at the stock carb setting, but I'd go with a quarter turn rich, to play it safe. then fine tune from there.

Back