Is this a defect?

stehansen

Climbing Up
A customer asked me if this would make the tree dangerous. It is a eucalylptus, I'm not sure what the name is but it is the kind that has the red flowers if that helps any. I told the customer that I thought that since there was no "bleeding" coming from the wood that it wouldn't effect the trees integrity. What say you?

Attachments

• Picture 089 (Small).jpg
    Picture 089 (Small).jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 114
  • Picture 090 (Small).jpg
    Picture 090 (Small).jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 115
  • Picture 091 (Small).jpg
    Picture 091 (Small).jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 113
Steve, What could you see below the bark? I'm wondering whether it is a growth split ( no big deal) or it might be wind shivered-(scary).

That's the kind of mark that dark magic leaves on you. Avada Kedavra would be my guess.

There is an oak like that were I was working today. Can't tell you what did it, but it is healing nicely. Bark is currently flaking as the healing is progressing around the wound .... New cambium is pushing the old bark off.

fungal prob that blows the bark off? whats under the loose stuff?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
standard issue for euc growth
generally not a concern, look underneath the bark just to be sure,
are you sure about the red flowers?

Pretty sure, not positive. I could tell you for sure in a couple of months. If you are a Euc guy, maybe you can tell from the bark? The tree is kind of leaning out over the neighbor's house but it isn't a large tree.

I think Zorro was practicing his technique on that tree. usual to see the bark plates separating altho I can understand why the client is concerned as that could look like structural problems.

Could be a silver dollar euc but I think it may be a Ficifolia which is commonly installed in landscape situations.

Attachments

• 800px-Corymbia_ficifolia.jpg
    800px-Corymbia_ficifolia.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 7
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
They are long and skinny. The bark is kind of fuzzy and thick as you can see.

you may be right hard to tell from the pic, and i only have a few varieties of euc here
unlike so cal and its abundance of varieties,
what do you think about the bark seperation?

The bark separation does look a little funky. It definitely raises an eyebrow and deserves a closer look. It doesn't look like normal peeling that you see in trees with exfoliating bark. There is a lot of separation in one spot.

What does the rest of the tree look like? Healthy? Leaning?

I'd get back there and do some excavating to see if I can see what's in that exposed area.

love
nick

Back