Fried Chicken for idiots?

sawinredneck

Treehouser
I thought I had a grasp on this, I was mistaken!!
Decent sized bowl, bread crumbs, corn meal, two eggs, butermilk and seasoning.
Put that in a pan on low heat with a coat of Olive oil.

I dropped it in and it all looked like dumplings more than Chicken! Each time I tried to turn them the batter just peeled off. I had to turn up the heat to get it to finally cook and not bleed all over the pan.
I am sure I made several mistakes, so PLEASE enlighten me!!!

curiously you dont list the chicken as an ingredient, you going vegetblarian Andy? :P

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yes, it was a whole Chicken, sliced and diced, then dipped into my "breading" mixture.

Here is as basic as I can get, Andy.

Needed- Cooking Oil, heavy pot(dutch oven or deep fryer preferred), flour, seasonings( I use cayanne, garlic powder, black pepper, and kosher or sea salt), ziploc bag, paper towel, and bowl. Hot sauce and buttermilk soak is optional.

Optional step
Soak the chicken in buttermilk and a dash of hot sauce

Coat chicken in a mixture of flour and spices(should just be a dry coating)

Heat oil to 350

Drop chicken in oil until done

Pull up from oil, drain on paper towel.

Enjoy

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks Jason!! I think a big part of the problem was it was a VERY wet mix for the batter.

Do you just coat the pan with oil, or is it a "bath"?

what about some healthier shake and bake? :) bread it and in the oven it goes, not as great a batter/crust but lots healthier I would think.

My mamma used to make her own, bread crumbs and a pinch of spices, you dont NEED put mega salt on them... :)

what about some healthier shake and bake? :) bread it and in the oven it goes, not as great a batter/crust but lots healthier I would think.

I'll agree there Paul. Just make a fresh batch of bread crumbs(day old bread works best) and add herbs and seasonings to taste.

that said I do crave a piece of deep fried chicken once in again, I just dont get to have it. :(

Andy, you might have better luck if you first coat the chicken with a coat of dry flour, then dip it into your batter. The batter will likely stick better, is my thought.

IF I remember, (i dont cook nor eat fried chicken) but should you cook it a little first, so it does not take as much time frying?

more into seared fish and grilled food here.

Everything in moderation. Try frying in a healthier oil, like canola. Proper temp will go a long way towards healthier frying. Keeping the temp above 350 will keep the food from absorbing as much fat.

I don't buy that, it's still completely and totally unhealthy. It's like saying it's better to wreck your car going 70 mph over 90 mph.

Use Pre-Dip

I thought I had a grasp on this, I was mistaken!!
Decent sized bowl, bread crumbs, corn meal, two eggs, butermilk and seasoning.
Put that in a pan on low heat with a coat of Olive oil.

I dropped it in and it all looked like dumplings more than Chicken! Each time I tried to turn them the batter just peeled off. I had to turn up the heat to get it to finally cook and not bleed all over the pan.
I am sure I made several mistakes, so PLEASE enlighten me!!!

If you use Pre-Dip instead of Egg Wash, your breading will not fall off. Your oil needs to be 350-375 deg F to fry anything and not have it soak up the grease. Canola oil and peanut oil work well and have O trans fats. Olive oil does not hold up well and soon breaks down. Visit http://www.hooktocook.com for the perfect fry mix every time.

Hey Mark.

How can anybody NOT eat fried chicken? ... that's almost like not eating bacon!

Yes sir fried chicken and cornbread. Hey Mark how ya doin?

Attachments

• friedchicken.jpg
    friedchicken.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 33
Back