weekdays or weekend?

wiley_p

Climbing Up
I'm curious which folks would prefer, going to training seminars on weekdays or weekends? I am thinking if an employer is paying for their emplyees to go, they would prefer a weekend schedule so as to not lose production. The same line of reasoning could be applied to the individual treeman, get as many work days in and go to training on the weekend. Yes? No?

I am indifferent, being self employed I work most days so weekends dont have the traditional off time for me that perhaps the office worker would enjoy.

I would love to attend some of NATS training in the area. BUT they are during the week. I have a corporate job and would have to take vacation time, which is precious as we all know. I would perfer weekends.

hmm

After due consideration, I realize that I am unable to summon sufficient conviction to achieve ambivalence.

This year I'm going to do things a little different. No tree related stuff on weekends or after hours, ex.-maintenance, saw repairs, yada yada. I didn't have shit for fun the last 2 years, so weekends will be for ME.

There will be exceptions of course.

This year I'm going to do things a little different. No tree related stuff on weekends or after hours, ex.-maintenance, saw repairs, yada yada. I didn't have shit for fun the last 2 years, so weekends will be for ME.

There will be exceptions of course.

Good way to go. I decided to do that a few years back, we had a beach house at our disposal that wasn't getting any use, so I made an effort to NOT work weekends. It was great while it lasted, now I've got twins on the way, and am lining up as much sidework as possible.

If the employer is paying the bill, I would say weekday. The employees attending the seminar are getting paid, so to them it is just like a work day.

Along a slightly different line, I feel, from my working background prior to teaching, that I learn more if I learn it on the job. I enjoyed learning the most when it came as part of the work day, whether I learned it my self, or had a "teacher" on the site. I think this would be a particularly good approach to helping develop a PHC program, helping the crews to recognize the relationships between tree biology, the local environment (above and below ground), the cultural pressures of the owner's desires and the tree care companies' philosophies.

Do any of your companies utilize this sort of training? Would it be something that you think would be beneficial? If a small company, possibly several could go together to share overhead costs, such as travel. I am always thinking of new ways to see the country and keep a little income flowing for when I retire in the near? future.

Thanks for your thoughts.

PS. I am qualified in brush dragging and other fine arts of the arboreal world!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
You guys from the PNW are killing me. Sean, you know where I'm going with this. How many companies do YOU know of in Washington who will shell out for training AND pay their employees? I know of only one. So it appears its about even on the opinions. I'm looking at it from the perspective of he normal employer I have run crews for, its pretty much pulling teeth to even get them to consider training.

Living as far north as I am, weekends are spend making estimates.
The only time I can catch people at home during daylight hours this time of the year is in the weekends.
Summer is a different matter, I can make an estimate at 10.30 PM, no problem.
So the answer would be: depends on the season.

depends on how many hours the guys have worked,
training costs are doubled if the guys hit ot, so we try to do it when they have a light week as not to raise our payroll
we try to do the big stuff on weekends
1st aid cpr 1 day
ariel rescue another
etc etc
we do tailgate meetings weekly-
at breakfast
it all comes down to costs
we do actually pay for training time,

is that the training they were talking about? i pay my guys safety meeting time, aerial rescue happens when i come to a job and say "you just cut your arm, you go rescue him". as far as conferences, which is what i thought was being talked about, if my guys get certified, i will help them maintain ceu's by bring them to classes, not paying them to go

Maybe I misunderstood Dave. If the employer isn't paying the bill and the trainees are doing this on their own time and their own dime, then definitely do it on the weekend. Chances are, they all have to be at work on weekdays.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yeah Sean, I'm scheduling the rescue this spring on a weekend and the module 2 rigging in the fall will be a weekend as well. employers paying for training isn't unheard of, but paying for the course and wages is. I'm sure we can get you in whichever class local, that you want.

The ski area I work for paid tuiton and our regular wages for "Game of Logging" , two full days paid to learn .... I feel this was generous as we were a group of ten ...

Ha, I did treework this last year for the owners of our two big local resorts. If your owners are anything similar they can afford the generosity and probably even need it as a tax write-off.;)

Back