Crane Size

• Thread starter Sep
  • Start date
  • Replies 98
  • Views 9K
S

Sep

I have been thinking about purchasing a crane. We work in tight areas, have a rear mount bucket, and often times use our small chip truck. Space is limited on most jobs. We often times hire in a 23 ton crane on jobs, and its too big and heavy to get into tight areas. I was thinking about buying an 18 ton crane, it will fit in tighter areas, and I don't mind taking smaller picks. Will the 18 ton do the job for me?

Sure! It's as small as I would ever wanna go, though. 22 or a 'lil bigger is usually better, but you can TCOB with a 17 or 18.

A rear mount is my favorite configuration.

crane-09.jpg

nah.....28 ton rear mount is awesome....more boom, for almost the same size truck. If you want really tight access consider an AT crane....but they cost more....I sub all my crane work, and have the luxury of getting to pick the right crane to fit the job.

this was a tight set up with a 28 ton rear mount terex 6000

Just make sure you know your limits. :O

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/54JmIQ2ohQ8&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/54JmIQ2ohQ8&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

It's not that hard when you start swinging it around like a fishing pole.

looked like a really heavy pick.......

dont be skeered cursedvoice.....if crane can pick 10k...take 5k:D

heres a 70 ton in a tighter spot:D

but you'll have to shell out some bucks for that, like 800k or so:\:

Thats 70 ton is soso sweet .
I would love to have that baby.
We could work her 360 days a year.
We spoke alot John , in past years.
Im still amazed that you can get cranes for so many jobs.
We are constantly doing it the hard way because the crane just eats to much money.I payed 920 cash for the 65 ton last week for 6.5 hours .
It was actually under their hourly rate.
He was the only crane guy who would deal with the set up on that tiny narrow hilly one way street.

The way I look at it, a crane turns a 2 day job into a 6 hour job. So which is more expensive, 6 hours of crane time or an extra 12 hours for the entire crew?

I like how in that one picture they put the outrigger inside the shed, definatly Tight!

I'm with Bivy on this, I like playing the Crane Card cause it gets me out of there faster, usually with more money in pocket.

And always another job cause someone saw you doing that with a crane.

Back