Jamin slays the dragon

Stumper

Treehouser
Okay, I'll admit that is a bit overstated but it sounds more exciting that "Jamin deadwoods a large tree". Unfortunately there are no dramatic action vids or even awe inspiring stills of monster limbs free falling or hinging onto the rope. I further apologize to Jamin himself for my being so out of tune with the port-a-wrap- I never got dialed in to the weights we were taking and the ropes I was using enough to get a smooth run at breakaway.
In any case. here are a few pics of Jamin ascending and climbing in a couple of large Cottonwoods. He did a great job and impressed me with his smooth use the throwline in-tree and quick use of recrotching to maneuver through the canopy.

Attachments

• Jamin Start.jpg
    Jamin Start.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 19
  • JaminAscent1_WEB.jpg
    JaminAscent1_WEB.jpg
    285.4 KB · Views: 20
  • JaminWkTop_WEB.jpg
    JaminWkTop_WEB.jpg
    441.2 KB · Views: 18
  • Jamin ascent2_WEB.jpg
    Jamin ascent2_WEB.jpg
    296.8 KB · Views: 18
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
The trees were deadwooded. The first left a pick-up truck load of shattered pieces to be cleaned up along with a few armloads of firewood from a couple 8-10" dead limbs and various broken stubs. The second tree is in decline from past over-pruning and the loss of one large leader long ago. Tree #2 had to have the central leader headed back to a live lateral at about 12" diameter and four other big dead limbs from 8-12" diameter removed.
I was low on the bid and realized it the instant it passed my lips and the customer agreed. There is another tree that I will do from the bucket and the first tree that Jamin deadwooded is to get some epicomic shoots thinned over the garage where a large limb was severely headed back 12-15 years ago.(That limb and work isn't in the frame of the pics). The total price on the 2 Jamin worked was $1485

Jay. Cottonwood is extremely heavy and brittle when green, very light and quick to decay when dead/dry.

Nice pix Stumpy! Looks like Jamin earned his pay that day. Another good tree to try out the Raptor huh?

Yeah, the trees make me look tiny alright!:lol: Can anyone pass the vitamin-I please? :|:

I'm glad Justin and I got to work together. It was fun. Justin is a gentleman and a scholar. He is more than fair to work with.

Justin. Thanks for the opportunity!

Nice tree, guys. I know a lot of people crap on cottonwoods but I have really grown to like them. They are the only trees of significant size and mass we have up here. And I really miss the big redwoods and eucs I use to climb in No. Cal.

This cottonwood is 120', with a 8.6' dbh.

Dave

Attachments

• 071608 049.jpg
    071608 049.jpg
    176.4 KB · Views: 11
  • 072308 008.jpg
    072308 008.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 12
Hey Jamin, very nice work bro! Those monsters are fun..... in a really tiring kind of way.:|:

A couple years back I was working for a young fellow raising the skirts of some redwoods around his residence, and at the end of the day, after the work was all done, he said, " Come back to the creek with me and you'll see a most grand tree."

It was a Wax Myrtle. A low an humble understory tree around these parts. But this Wax Myrtle was beyond compare. A single stem of 24 inches by 60 feet. A champion I believe, and the finest wax myrtle I have ever seen. Truly inspiring to see a tree of a species reach the proportions that it has.

This cottonwood is right in there and the crown looks young and vigorous to boot.

Certainly a fine Cottonwood to share with us. Thank you, Justin and Jamin.

Back