MS200 rear handle or MS260 Pro

Burnham

Woods walker
Trying to decide on an addition to the fleet here, and looking for input. Proposed use would be generally clearing and bucking smallish wood out of roads, occasionally might go into a tree with it.

Price point favors the 260, but not by all that much.

Opinions?

I have used both for falling christmas trees, which is sort of like what you'll be doing, except for the bucking part. The 200 is too slow cutting for my taste + no handle heat, which is a must for me in the winter.
As for climbing use, they both suck equally, compared to a t200 IMO.

Last edited:
I love my 200. I bought four of 'em for the crews, kept one for myself. Usually my work consists of "emergency" stuff like you describe, I now use it in the bucket and while climbing as well.
As far as how it compares? I dunno, but I would guess the 200 is much lighter.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Well, yeah, alot lighter...powerhead weight for the 200 is 7.7 lbs (0.2 lbs. less than the 200T), while the 260 Pro is 10.6 lbs.

But the HP ratings are thus: 200 is 2.1 and the 260 is 3.2. So the weight vs. power is a definite trade off.

I have a 200T for in-tree work, might go to the 260 for a bit bigger wood before going to the 361, before going to the 460, etc., etc. Using the 200 in the tree would only be if the 200T went gunny on a specific day.

While I'm very partial to the 020-ms200 line of saws.....

The deciding factor would be how big of trees are you going to be cutting? Up to 10" I'd say the ms200, over that go with the ms260.

Ed

Attachments

• 020-200.JPG
    020-200.JPG
    99.1 KB · Views: 458
Either saw, I'd not be cutting wood beyond it's capability. My truck already has on board at all times a 066/36" bar and a 460/28" bar. The 084/41" or 60" stays in the shed but is there if needed.

I'm planning on adding the small rear handle saw to the truck...as it is I often pull out the 200T for little stuff, up to say 16 inches, for just a few bucking cuts. I'd rather have a rear handle saw for this duty, rather than a top handle trailing a harness tether :D.

Fair enough...can't say I've ever needed to run a saw 24 hours straight :).

Pulled my share of 16 hour days cutting on fires though...044 was my fav for that duty, great power to weight ratio that the 441 can't match.

I've used both... a buddy of mine has a 260, it is a great saw. the weight on is not too bad. If i was using a saw all day and cutting 6"-8" of stuff i would get the 200. I almost bought the 200 but i wanted a top handled saw...

just my 2 cents...

Nick

Yup, Nick, it's apples and oranges comparing the 200 and the 200t, as far as the work they are designed for. You certainly have to know what the primary task is before you choose the correct tool to handle it.

I'd go for the 260. Not a bad little saw. It's versatile, especially when you open the muffler up a little. Pulls a 16in bar nicely. In comparison the 200 lacks cc if your looking for an intermediate model

Sorta leaning that way myself, Pete...but then Butch pointed out the 200 is so much cooler!

Burnham, are you sure you need 50ccs for a small clearing up saw, like the 260? Seems like the low 40ccs is what you'd be wanting....a high reving saw with some grunt. Don't know what exactly is out there currently that might fit the bill, though. Guess that you want a Stihl....

My 242xp is all I need for limbing and small bucking. It's had it's lid popped, however. Fast working saw, but no longer made. You don't want to expand your considerations to other brands? Husky might be a better choice for a smaller saw, or?

Raising the compression on a small saw can be very helpful. More arm to pull it over is the downside, if on and offing it a lot.

A friend brought me his MS200 and asked if I could do anything to get more power from it. It was running rich, and adjusting the carb helped a bit, but I wanted to lean it out to oblivion, the thing seems rather gutless.

What sized bar are you thinking to cover your needs?

I just bought an 026 used for that very purpose and I'm disappointed. It's a great saw and everything, runs like a champ but I end up using my 200T on the ground a lot more than I want to. You can't argue with 13,000 RPM and that lightweight.

I'd be all over the 200 rear handle... mainly because of the coolness.

I'm pretty wedded to Stihl...got a real good dealer right next door to the Ranger station with whom I've done business, both personal and FS, for 30 years. He'll take care of me, and do it at 20% under retail for purchases.

But you make a valid point, Jay. That's why I'm asking for feedback. Thanks.

use my rear handle 200 EVERY day.....I think I may get another. Not bad in a tree as well...nice and light. I sold my 026 a few years back...

im with blinky, i hated my 260s even with a muffler mod. if you want to port it thats another story
dont laugh at me again
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/7eAIvG3uFjo&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/7eAIvG3uFjo&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/eCnxQGK7RCs&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/eCnxQGK7RCs&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

My only concern about going with the 200 is the muffler placement. If you're stumping down a lot of stuff, that side muffler points straight at the ground, which blows all the exhaust right back up into your face and hands. For that reason alone, I'd go with the more conventional saw with the forward muffler.

The way you guys talk about the 260... Makes me wish Husky still made the 345... I know it was more the homeowner saw.. But dang they were a hot lil saw for just what Burnam would use it for.. And tough enough to hold up to my work.

Back