First Tachyon splice

• Thread starter startersplice
  • Start date
  • Replies 14
  • Views 5K
S

startersplice

Just did my first Tachyon splice, went together quite well.
Followed instructions from Nick's website.
1-Am i correct in saying this is a class 1 double braid splice just with 3 extra paralell cores to contend with?
2- What ropes apart from the Fly use a class 2 core dependant double braid splice? (Do they all finish up looking ugly)?
:?

Attachments

• Tachyon splice.jpg
    Tachyon splice.jpg
    163.7 KB · Views: 31
Very nice looking eye.

Not sure about the Fly question. I thought it was kernmantle.

That's fairly correct, I believe they call it a triple braid fwiw.

The Fly ISN'T a Class II double braid. Class II generally involves high modulus lines, like my Validator II or Warpspeed lines. From the outside a class II looks the same as a class I.

Validator II custom splice:
DSC04662.jpg

Startersplice, try to get the whipping closer to the throat of the splice. my thinking is that there will be more untampered with strands of the rope giving a more secure lock with less movement.

Jamie

1-Am i correct in saying this is a class 1 double braid splice just with 3 extra paralell cores to contend with?

Yep, correct.

2- What ropes apart from the Fly use a class 2 core dependant double braid splice? (Do they all finish up looking ugly)?

The fly technically doesn't even use the splice you described. There are currently no arborist climbing lines that use the core-to-core splice. No- they don't all end up looking ugly. They can be done with the cover buried so that they look just like a "regular" double braid splice.

try to get the whipping closer to the throat of the splice.
This splice is VERY stiff. It would be very challenging to get it much closer than he already has it. I don't even put a whipping on it. I do my "invisible" stitching. I fully believe that Tachyon, Velocity, Blaze and Poison Ivy do not have to be stitched at all. I do it because that's the rules. The wording on the tachyon splice directions is hopeful that maybe we won't one day have to stitch them at all... if required lock stitch the splice... The question I have is, "required by who?"

Great looking splice, startersplice. You could make the eye a little smaller, you know. It'll grab on real tight. What 'biner do you use?

love
nick

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Biners are either DMM or ISC Mighty Mouse. Made in WALES of course :)

Oh yeah, you can definitely get away with tightening up that eye a bit...if that appealed to you.

These are my favorite carabiners...
KH214S_L.jpg

love
nick

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
There the crabs i use (Mighty Mouse) really good and small. I've read a bit on hear about 4/1 pulleys for pulling tough splices home, how does it work? What part of the splice do you attach it onto??
Cheers

Great looking splice, startersplice. You could make the eye a little smaller, you know. It'll grab on real tight. What 'biner do you use?

In lieu of exact eye sizing, might he put in some whipping or, e.g., Constrictor
knots in the eye, to take up the extra space and make for snugger fit (and
maybe take some abrasion)? If so, that would enable adjustment to different
'biners.

*kN*

Back