Rate my chain

• Thread starter JamesTX
  • Start date
  • Replies 51
  • Views 6K
J

JamesTX

Ok, I have a Stihl .325 RMC3 chain for a 16" bar from my 250. I sharpened as best as I can, and I'd like someone to look at it, try it out, and critique it. I'd prefer someone that will post pics, so that I can see what changes you'd make.

Anyone up to the job? By the way, you don't have to ship it back either - just toss it when you're finished.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Ya think? No one ever showed my how - I just started filing. Some feedback will help.

Shoot, we can tip beers on my back porch and I'll give you my .02 on the subject.

I have stated before I hate to sharpen but in a pinch, I have no problem making one cut like new again. Cut enough tree with nails and you either learn to sharpen or chew through a tree.

Wife will be out of town the next 2 weeks so I will have time.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
We have a winner - or loser depending on how you feel about dull chains. Thanks man, I'll give you a call.

you definatley want the chain shipped back so you can use it for referance at least

I saw the title and I was almost skeered to open this thread. :/:

The only way to get good at it is to do it .What ever brand of chain it is ,the directions are on the net .

It's a cool thing to know how to do. Really satisfying when you feel your saw just sink right in, spitting big curlys with a chain you sharpened.

Well for sure it takes some time to learn to file correctly .Some pick it up fast and some do not .Some never do .

You have to learn what works best for you .Some file all the lefties then the righties .Some flip the saw down side up . I go over the top,lefty ,righty etc . What ever works is all that counts .

Get a dozen of files and have at it .You aren't going to learn any younger .

practice, practice, doing is the best teacher. The hardest part is chain identification, once you get past that the rest is easy.

I dont go for the idea of "get a grinder and dont worry about filing". To me, knowing how to file properly gives you a better understanding of how a chain cuts, and why a chain wont cut right. What ever happened to the old school way of using and understanding simple tools? In my short-lived line clearing days, if you couldnt file, you were screwed. We cut tap lines running a LONG ways back to a lot of hunting cabins. I cant say I ever found a chain grinder bolted up to a tree a mile from the road.

James,
Pick ya up a Granberg G106B file-n-joint. It will "teach" you the proper angles you need to learn while hand filing. It will also bring your chains back to spec when ya file'em wrong.

The hardest part is chain identification, once you get past that the rest is easy.
A lot of truth to that .I once filed some Carlton at a 10 degree up like Oregon and it wouldn't cut worth a hoot . Good old Crofter [Frank ] showed me the error of my ways .

That is why I suggested getting on the net if in doubt of the filing method for the chain .

Myself l try not to let the chain get dull. Just "wipe" the dust off the cutters every fill up. ls it the right thing to do, hell if l know.

Well you might try putting it on back assward after a time .It might cut better --and by the way anybody that says they have never put a chain on backwards is handling the truth carelessly .;)

l put the chain on backwards before l took it in for the first tune up just to get a rise out of the dude. The look on his face was priceless...lmao

Oh only me .I had ported an 038 Av ,simple widdening every thing type of thing .That damned thing wouldn't cut hot butter .In my haste I had put the stinkin chain on backwards ,duh .

About the time you think you know somethings it hits you,still dumb as a box of rocks .:roll:

Back