Proposed Rec/work climb

You guys tryin to rattle Guy's chain?

Guy, you'd chain yourself to that tree before letting Darin and Wiley at it, right?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I agree...what's the work? Pictures say "No climbing"...are they going to turn loose some arborists to work in it?
Yup full permission. /they need some honkin big limbs lowered and cut into benches for seating and to block vehicle access. Others will be inventorying associates, i.e. swinging around and taking pictures of lichens and measuring and collecting bugs and other canopy research.

Definitely will be measuring it to nominate it for national champion. Some clearing of trails in the woods behind the tree also needed.

O and my chain is so slack, yanking it has no effect. :P

Guy, did you know our top guy is moving to Durham? I bet he would like to help. Can you provide more details?

Guy, did you know our top guy is moving to Durham? I bet he would like to help. Can you provide more details?
Moving from the keys to Durham? Must be a woman involved.

Date moved to March 21 due to bike week.

Tomoka Historical Trail

(From Interstate 95, drive east, southeast and south on Old Dixie Hwy.
east on the park entrance road to the large oak tree.)(0.4)

Bulow Creek State Park, east of Old Dixie Hwy.

2....Ormond-Fairchild Oak

This tree is said to be over 2,000 years old and is one of the largest in the county. It is sometimes called the Harwood or Haunt Oak because Norman B. Harwood committed suicide near it.

The coquina boulder with the bronze plaque was dedicated in January of 1956 while the plantation was owned by the Portland Cement Company. It bears the names of James Ormond, the former owner, and David Fairchild, a botanist who admired and often visited this tree. He believed it to be a natural cross between a live oak and a laurel oak.

o and not that chain, so you can keep the meds, thanks. 8)

It's definitely on--see you Saturday March 21! see attached

http://www.stateparks.com/bulow_creek.html

my cel 919-906-0465

Client: Florida Park Service Address: Bulow Creek State Park, Old Dixie Hwy, Ormond Beach

Services Rendered: Hours: Rate $/hr: Subtotal:

1. Remove dead branches. Cut large sections as furniture to place in an arc inside the dripline, to separate the mulched area from the mowed area.
Chip small branches and spread as mulch. Clear weedy undergrowth and construct trail, highlighting key plants and features.
$
2. Measure height of tree by tape drop. Measure spread and diameter, and nominate tree as Florida and National Champion. Compare present state and national champions and other notable live oaks.
$
3. Inventory epiphytes and parasites on the tree, and symbionts and allelopaths on the ground, coordinating with UF and local experts. Videotape the climbing and the collection.
$
4. Inspect crown and assess health and safety conditions.
$

definitely on; hope to see you; bring flexible tape if you have one for volumetrics

state will handle liability ins. email me if you want to see the volunteer reg form; cant attach it here. :X

Back