Shag bark hickory (Carya ovata) seed's

KGmyrek

Treehouser
Hi !!

I have trouble with Shag bark hickory (Carya ovata) seed's.

I really need them... Maybe anyone know where I can bay them.. (any online shops , or maybe You know someone who can know something about this.....)

The seed is the nut . If it weren't for the red tape involved in international shipping I could come up with bushels of them .

I don't plant them myself as I have a crew of big fat fox squirrels that help me out along those lines .:|:

1st time i ever climbed them trees was in santa clause indiana,
cant remember the name of that roller coaster park there,
cool trees
just over night fed ex them.....

I've got a yard full of'em right now but I don't know what kind of trouble I could get into for exporting them.

That carries a lethal injection sentence, hopefully they use smack so its at least peaceful:)

That would be a bit much to hope for in Carolina. I think they use drain cleaner.

"Are there any explosive, liquid, or perishable items inside ?"
Blink blink...
"Nope."
I don't know if I'd be game ? Maybe.
Doesn't Shagbark hickory grow yonder way ???

The Polish grind them up and smoke it, induces holusiongenic(sp?) state which shortly proceeds extreme nausia, is also used for dieting. :lol:

The shag bark is about the only one fit to eat . Shell bark is not as tastey and pignut is nasty .

I've got a woods full of all three but the nuts the squirrels didn't get are under snow cover at this time .

I don't know how they survive a winter,never paid much attention . They drop from late Augest to early Oct ,depending on how dry it is .

When the snow melts I'll dig around to see what I can find .

Yep I went out to pick some up and the squirrels... including the one I raised, have stashed most of'em.

Stashing your nuts. . . . .

OK

:big-laughing-at::big-laughing-at::big-laughing-at:

But really why would the seedlings not be available if this is a local tree to that area, IF not why would you import something that is not native?

just my brain cell worth.

in certain areas are we not attempting to remove non-native plants that have become issues.

turn the page - on with the post

Last edited:
I find the shells in my wood pile .:lol: The nuts end up every where.Under my bull dozer seat ,in my lawn mower . They bury them in the flower beds and low and behold ,a hickory tree emerges .Nutless of course .

It seems odd they would grow but produce no nuts .:? I wouldn't think a Polish shagbark would differ much from a midwest USA variety .

I don't have the answer,maybe a Google hunt is in order .

Back