Which Rope?

• Thread starter Ace76
  • Start date
  • Replies 76
  • Views 10K
A

Ace76

What kind of rope do you guys climb with? I need some for for occasional recreational tree climbing, just not sure what brand or type to try. All I have ever used is static kernmantle for SRT, but I think it may be too stiff for Ddrt.

As mentioned if a few other threads...check out the "e-Bay rope store" guy!!!

I'm sure someone here has his ebay info, ;)!!!

As far as rope suggestions...you can never go wrong with 'Blue Streak' (now known as 'Arbormaster' rope).

HC

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
What lenght would I need for an average tree? I am in the SouthEast and I have not seen too many very tall trees. A few tall oaks is about it around here. Don't ask me how tall they are, I suck at guessing height.

By the way I prefer 7/16 over 1/2

Tachyon is now my first choice. I got a 150' hank for christmas and I've climbed on it enough to know it's a vast improvement over the Fly.

Tachyon all the way!!

I like colors too as long as they're green.

I like Poison Ivy (Blue moon?). Velocity is nice too. Tachyon seem like nice rope. I'll probably try some next rope I buy... green of course.

true blue for drt, its heavier than others per ft but man does it last,
cheap rope is not good rope...look at arbor plex...its cheap but it sucks
i tried the new lime light, it milked too much, got stuck on the bulge it created,
anyone in san diego can ask jf1962(treebuzzer) about it, it sucked stuck like 15' above ground , had to change ropes, ohhh it was embarrassing, i think he took a pic or two
i did do the longest quickest body thrust climb at his ariel rescue class though, yes i was the only one to do it old school.

For rec climbing I would go with one of the 11.5 mm ropes. "Poison Ivy" or "Blue moon" has been my favorite so far. Though, I think I'll try out velocity next. ...I like orange.

Ohh... and there's a dude in Baltimore that climbs on snakebite all the time Dbrt and everything. I wouldn't though...

I had problems with major milking on the Tachyon. On a 150 ft hank, I got about 2-3 ft of cover off one end. :\:

In the smaller diameter lines, I prefer Bluemoon. Yale does some kind of post-production processing to get all the milking done before packaging it, so it doesn't milk. Plus it's just a bit fatter than 7/16" and is a little easier to hold onto.

Of all the ropes Ive used the velocity seems to have the least bounce (where you loose energy on ascents) and milks the least of all the ropes. Getting used to a true 11mm takes some time though.

Blaze is great too.

jp:D

Other than the Fly, how many other types of ropes have you used so far in your climbing experience? :drink:

Let's see, I've used Poison Ivy, Fly, XTC Plus, and Hi-Vee.

I found the 11.5 or 11.7mm ropes are just right for me. Not too skinny, but not too fat. (Though I don't have any objection to a good hank of hi-vee. It's all I climbed on for a few years and I loved it, and still do)

Yes...

Blaze = chameleon
Blue moon = poison ivy

Only the colors are different.

What kind of rec climbing are you doing? Do you want a light, packable rope and can you cope with the thinner rope, then go with Blaze. As a rec climber, I'm thinking durability isn't the big concern. No need to go with a 1/2" rope unless you like the feel of it in your hand.

love
nick

Back