top handle saw

Paul B

I dig hammocks.
ok, I have an Echo CS330 top handle, it runs fine when it gets going but it takes FOREVER to warm up. I used it today. 10 pulls to get it idling, then after about 3 minutes of idling at low RPM I touched the gas trigger and it bogged out and stalled promptly. After starting and doing the same thing about 10 times before it finally would spin the chain and rev out without stalling I got my job done.

I have never adjusted the settings of the saw, the air filter is clean and it was brand new mix gas (supreme 94 octane).

Any ideas on what I could do better (other than buying a new saw)?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
:P I said other than buying a new saw, witnit.

As an afterthought it would have been smarter I think to spend the $500ish on a 200T originally instead of the $350 on the Echo. ;)

New plug ... then time to adjust the settings. Might be worth just upping the idle a tad after a new plug. My 360Ts are a bit cold blooded also.. But they get going after a brief warm up.

A new plug I can do.

I have never adjusted the settings on a 2 stroke engine, my hedgers, chainsaws etc. Whats the laymans quick lesson?

Probably carb adjustment limiters on the Echo. You might want to snip them. Wonder what a muffler mod and running premium gas would do for ya?

I would have to dig out the echo manual to get it right for ya... And I have no clue at the moment where it is.. Let me check on line... Put the new plug in first and see if it even needs adjusting.

it is premium gas. I pulled the spark arrestor out when I bought it, if that makes a difference.
I dunno if its carb limiters, I havent adjusted anything, yet.

I will try to grab a new plug over the next couple days and see if it helps. I guess I will see if the old one is fouled up etc when I pull it out.

I'm guessing that you can go a bit leaner on the low speed adjustment. That would be a small turn to the right.

One of my climb saws is referred to as "cold hearted" by my groundman ... all she really needs is that little goose on the throttle when pull starting ... I'm sure you know this trick ....I think it's age !

I think we come to know all our saw's personalities... Funny how I can hand a saw that starts and runs for me just fine and gives every one else on the crew grief.. LMAO

I had one that did the same thing....many people tried to fix. I finally turned it into a boat anchor, works great now:D

Don't know about Echo quality control...... I've had two, the same model, and they ran very different. Unfortunately, the first one that I smashed to smithereens with a tree that set back hard, ran better than the replacement.

I have one too Paul, haven't looked at it for awhile, ran like a pos. Tried to give it to my uncle this last year but he never took it. You make the TCC up here this year and it's yours.:D A backup!

Back