Which model?

• Thread starter Ace76
  • Start date
  • Replies 36
  • Views 4K
A

Ace76

I'm looking to buy a chainsaw for using around the house to cut down a few trees and clear some brush. I realy like the quality of sthil, but I'm not sure if they make a cheaper model for my needs. It wont get much use, maybe 2 or 3 times a year. Ya'll have any recommendations?

2-3 times a year, doesn't seem like a pro user model is required. They make cheap models, probably sold at your local home center/hardware. For that matter, Echo would likely just as well serve your needs. Still, get in the habit of maintenance, so it will start right up when you go to use it. You might want to run the saw dry, put a teaspoon of two cycle oil in the cylinder, pull the starter a few times to distribute it, if it's going to be a long lapse before you expect to use the saw again.

Name is Jay.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I filled out my profile for ya

-Mike

The Stihl MS290 is a popular lower cost model. Been in production for quite a while now, they are probably one of the most popular models. Therefore parts and service won't be an issue in 5-10 years. This size saw normally wears an 18"-20" bar so it's a good, medium sized saw for general farm type use.

I just looked at it on stihls website, it looks like a pretty good one. They recommend a 16" bar though. $349.00 is a little higher than I was looking for, but the quality is probably worth the extra money.

They had that saw at the $299 price point for many years. I guess costs just finally got high enough that they had to bump the price. Exchange rate probably has something to do with it also. Our dollar is not worth what it used to be a year ago.

Worth the extra $ for a saw that'll actually start and run when you need it to. ;)

I think as far as homeowner saws go Stihl's and Huskies are both great. I'd see which saws are more supported in your local market. We have mainly Stihls and Stihl mechanics here so that's what I go with.

The 290 is well worth the $350. Ive got 2 and both start right up and dont give me probs. I spin the 18" bar. Makes it easy for cuting firewood to common length.

If you want something smaller, you mite also look at an echo 370. I have one of those too. It wont do big stuff, but for small brush/trees, its nice. Light too. I think it came w/ a 16" bar. Ive switched it too 14 as thats what i use on my climbing saws.

Is the 290 basically the old 029 Farm Boss? I've got plenty of time on those, and they were a decent saw. Obviously the power to weight is what gets you on these saws, but they seemed to be very reliable. Good enough for firewooding and other odd jobs.

Hi Mike,

As the old saying goes...ya get what you pay for!

That said, I'd suggest the Echo 4400 now known as the 440. It's not a big saw but for itsw class its a great saw for the money. It'll last you as long as you take care of it.

The 4400 was my first saw and I've got close to 400 hours on it so far. With this little saw, I took down a dead but solid 3 1/2' dbh oak tree. Sure it took a while with its 18" bar but the 4400 (440) did the job just fine!!!

So for a good quality home owner saw for its class, ya can't go wrong with an Echo 4400 (440), IMHO.

Wallmart sells them or maybe try e-Bay?

Bob

ps- only draw back with the Echos was that I had a hard time finding air filters at a reasonable price. Just see if you have a local dealer in your area is all.

Obviously the power to weight is what gets you on these saws, but they seemed to be very reliable.

At least with the 290 it's heavy and powerful vs. light and weak. The 029 was a bombproof saw. Assuming the 290 is the same design it's well worth $350.

But I have to stop and ask what do you mean by brush clearing? If you're mostly cutting small stuff, a lighter saw might be better.

At least with the 290 it's heavy and powerful vs. light and weak. The 029 was a bombproof saw. Assuming the 290 is the same design it's well worth $350.

But I have to stop and ask what do you mean by brush clearing? If you're mostly cutting small stuff, a lighter saw might be better.

I guess brush isn't the right word. Just smaller trees down to 1" dia.

But I want to be able to drop a few biguns too. The 290 is a good size.

Just remember what the odd numbered models mean.

what wood that be???

Cheaper, more plastic, homeowner models.
onoz.gif

Hell yea, at least it's a Sthil. Personally, I would drop the bucks for a pro model, regardless of how often I was gonna use it. I like to spoil myself.

I'm looking to buy a chainsaw for using around the house to cut down a few trees and clear some brush. I realy like the quality of sthil, but I'm not sure if they make a cheaper model for my needs. It wont get much use, maybe 2 or 3 times a year. Ya'll have any recommendations?

I'm just a homeowner, not a pro tree guy. I have some land that I do brush clearing on - trees from 8" diameter down to 1". I have a Stihl 250 and it's been great. I've had it for 4 years now and it's never given me any problems, even going a month or so between uses. And I don't do anywhere near the maintenance that the guys on this board do. I could recommend it.

One thing about the 290 - it's about 3 lbs heavier than the 250. When you're clearing brush, bending over, going through a lot of brush - you'll really start to feel that extra weight.

I don't know if it is the same in the US, but here Stihl makes a "farmboss" version of the 260. It is basically the same as the pro model , just without carb heat , handle heat etc.
One of my old apprentices bought one years ago, and still runs it. I can't even begin to count the hours, he has gotten out of that saw.
It it more expensive than the 250, but as MB says: less plastic.

Back