MS260 help

rangerdanger

TreeHouser
Hey everyone, looking for some diagnosis help on an MS260. The problem:

Saw shuts down after 10 to 15 seconds at idle. When you rev it or when you use it, it's ok. It only happens at idle. It just shuts down. Not a huge problem, but annoying if you're trying to cut, then move something. It gets a new air filter tomorrow, as it's time for replacing it. Don't know if this could be the cause or not, a bad air filter.

Any others ideas or theories!!

Thanks!!

If your saw is tuned right the idle adjustment means squat. But sometimes in a working setting just turning your idle up a bit could be the best 30 seconds you spend all day.

Just for the heck of it, take a wire brush and clean the carbon off the plug, or replace.
Check the gap.

The 1121 series saw, 024, 026, MS 260 has been known to have this problem, and I believe it has to do with fuel puddling in the intake manifold, then it all splashes into the crankcase at once and stalls the engine. Like you said, it runs fine otherwise. As suggested, try adjusting the carb low side a little leaner, but keep a good smooth idle and be sure it accelerates smoothly. Unfortunately the carb does not have an accelerator pump so you have to leave the low side a little rich.
The MS 361 has an interesting design feature on the cylinder, that allows any puddled fuel to drain into the crankcase and not accumulate, to prevent this problem. I was doing some other stuff to my 260 so while I had the jug off it modified it in a similar way and it did help a little. Sometimes if I let it idle for a bit and then tip it forward to make a cut it still tries to bog down. I have gotten in the habit of tipping the bar up and blipping the throttle a couple of times before entering the wood, so that might help in your case too.
Eddie

Back