Hiking, Riding GPS

darkstar

Rockclimber/ treeclimber
We have been riding and hiking alot instead of rock climbing.
Im steering toward more ATV trips and longer hikes.
Id like to get a better GPS .
Do any of you all have a reccomendation?

Nope, learn your area and expand your range on your nav skills. I never used a navigation nothing in the bush working or adventuring. I remain aware of my surroundings and that's how I know where I am and how to get home.

Only been lost a few times in the bush before and quickly found my way or on snowmobile as you end up covering so much territory.

Many of the Garmin automotive units like mine have a setting to switch to 'pedestrian' mode. they don't show much as far as terrain though. Much more of an urban type device.

I betcha that a lot of hunters would have good advice on the type of GPS you're looking for, though.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I know where im at out there .
Im looking more into marking coordinates and just having a little fun with the unit.

Try looking into the Gamin SUMMIT unit. If you know how to use topos and coordinate systems (i.e. MGRS, lat lon, UTM etc.) I found this to be the best units for that type of usage. A really big plus is it has a electronic magnatic compass built in that works even if your not moving, very handy. I used mine all over for both hunting and doing stuff for my Uncle Sam and it's held up great even with a fair amount of abuse.

I like a Map , Compass ... orientation , and a sense of directiion .... oh yeah the Sun as well .. (I guess I'm too old school for tech) .... Oh Well ...

Hunting? Even more important to know exactly where you actually are.

Yep... I bought a Magellan handheld GPS about 10 years ago to "aid" in hunting... I have had it out of the box about maybe 5 times since I have owned it.

It's a good unit... just I find I really have no use for one in the woods, or on loggin' roads. Now then... If I owned a saltwater boat, or a plane... I would definately have one.

Gary

I was thinking I might get a GPS for helping find property lines on some clearing jobs. Would really suck cutting someone else tree down and get sued for it or shot at for trespassing..

What are you looking to do? I have a Garmin Geko and it serves me well. There are no maps on it. I can mark waypoints and navigate to and from places in a straight line, and follow a pre-travelled path (to get back to my car).

If you want maps, color screens, and other frills, you'll need to step it up a bit.

love
nick

Pretty much like ya got there nick... Just need the points for quick survey location on existing points. We can pull plot maps here and often do.. They usually come with coordinates.

Back