Good score

woodworkingboy

TreeHouser
After repairing the old saws of an also old guy I used to do tree work with, he comes over today and picks them up. He's holding a gunny sack, and tells me that he no longer has much use for his big saw, so I can keep it. I opened the sack, and found this 046 with 28" bar, probably still has the original chain on it. Timely, I could use a 28" bar. Here's some pics after I cleaned it up. Runs great, seems tight like new.

Anybody ever using one of these? Needs decent dawgs, that's all, and light for 76ccs. Pretty cool!

Attachments

• saw.JPG
    saw.JPG
    416.2 KB · Views: 9
  • 046.JPG
    046.JPG
    455.2 KB · Views: 7
Very nice, Jay. The 046/460 is an industry standard and has set the bar for it's size for the last 10 years. Ya done good. :D

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
That's good news, thanks Skwerl! Just hope the phone might ring so I can go use it now.

Has a plastic flywheel, never knew such a thing existed.

Not plastic, "polymer!" :lol:

I had a 460 for a few years until I bookended it with a 44 and a 66 and stopped using it as much. But it's a great saw that fills a good niche, and the saw itself is reliable as gravity. And like Brian said, it's an industry standard, especially in timber circles.

That's the first choice coming out of my saw box, many situations, Jay. I have the 460 Mag version, running a 28 inch bar dressed in full skip chisel.

It's a wonderful saw, and I'd have a difficult time deciding between a new one vs. a 441...weighs the same, makes another 1/2 hp.

You REALLY scored there.

I have a 460 and it too wears a 28" bar. I love it! The saw seems to be quite light for the power it puts out. Hope your phone rings soon so you can try it out!

That's awesome! Since you only needed the 28" bar, why don't you do a TreeHouse raffle for the saw.:P I've been looking for an 046 junker on Ebay to fix up, but they are bringing big coin, even for a parts saw.

I too have a 460...its my big saw and i love it. Its sporting the same 28".

Ive considered getting a couple more for the time stihl says 'no more' (or maybe its the epa telling stihl no more).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Can anyone advise what the max no load rpm spec is on the 046 magnum?

Thanks.

A wild guess off the top of my head would be about 13k-13.5k? Somebody here has the service books and can tell you for certain. I have a cd with that info but my player is broken. :(

Back