Thanks Nick!

• Thread starter TreeDimensional
  • Start date
  • Replies 23
  • Views 4K
T

TreeDimensional

I would like to thank Nick for answering the questions I had about Rope and Splicing. Just because a splice was done in-house at a rope manufacturing place doesn't always mean it was done correctly. Perhaps the quality control people were having an off day!

I have seen a whoopie sling sold that wasn't properly finished. I would urge people, who may NOT be interested in splicing, to become familiar with what a proper splice looks like. Like knot tying we all should T/D/S our knots, shouldn't we pay the same attention to the splices we trust our lives to?

I don't think I would climb on one of my very first splices, I might use them in a rigging application, with a big dose of consideration for safety. Like rigging a limb that couldn't whack anything important. If all worked out well, then I might consider splicing something for personal use (climbing line). OR I could buy my spliced ropes from a reputable guy like NICK!

Thanks again Nick.

I have a few things I've climbed on spliced by Nick. He does nice work.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Unfortunately, I have limited exposure to other arborists. Ten years into the business and I am still tying knots. Now we seem to be getting more and technical rigging and crane work. When the crane shows up, at $310/hr, I already have the PLAN worked out in my head, but the slings always seem to be the point of in-efficiency!

I have used loopies and whoopies since the start of my tree work. Since we have lost or Provincial Vermeer dealer, buying these types of slings has become a challenge. Nick has boosted my confidence in my ability to put a few whoopies together for my use. Again, I will test these in an application that will insure that no one or nothing can get buggered up!;)

Like anything in life comfort and confidence comes from DOING! A huge sector of society (ANSI, OHSA,WC.....) has taken it upon themselves to TRY and keep us safe. Even IF you follow all the rules, shit can happen. Failure of equipment, ropes, or even splices, is a fact of life. Knowing when to retire a piece of equipment is a critical factor in staying safe.

I wouldn't mind seeing examples of bad splicing beside proper splicing. LOL I understand that the visual subtle differences may be almost impossible to see. It all comes down to procedure of the splicer and the confidence of the user in the splicer. I will admit right here that I probably am not very good at identifying poor splices. I bet I have retired a lot of rope that has lots of use left in it.

I am a bit envious of my American friends, in that they have rope manufacturers and independent splicers like Nick closer than I do. In my part of the world its a long hike to anything in the arb world. I carry a lot more rope and slings than I will ever use, 'cause when your in the middle of a job and something gets compromised, it ain't cool to have to shut down for three or four days while the bus shows up. Hell it can take a week or two IF stuff has to come from the US. Our customs geniuses can sit on stuff indefinitely. So much for the NAFTA thing!:roll:

Nick is money. He came up to the Bay to help me splice up this swing.

Super good guy.

Let's make this a Nick appreciation thread...

Attachments

• IMG_0385.JPG
    IMG_0385.JPG
    395.7 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0401.JPG
    IMG_0401.JPG
    301.1 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0404.JPG
    IMG_0404.JPG
    146.1 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0407.JPG
    IMG_0407.JPG
    419.6 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_0411.JPG
    IMG_0411.JPG
    190.7 KB · Views: 9
I agree Bodean, we should pay tribute to a guy who is unselfish, and willing to help ALL who ask. When I called him, he didn't know me from Adam, I'm glad he didn't hang up on me!:lol:

LMAO I'm all thumbs when it come to fine work with my hands! I even have MORE issues when it comes to trying to take something from print and make my hands do it, in short I have dyslexia. When Nick explained what to do, it was like a switch was turned on.

Thanks Nick, yo da MAN!:thumbup: NOW if ya only lived in Saskatchewan I'd have it made!!!!!!

Thank you VERY much, guys. I really love splicing rope and I love having the opportunity to teach it to people through the internet, phone, and in class rooms.

This is not a full on business for me. It is a hobby. I can't wait for the day when I feel comfortable leaving all my other work and being able to focus only on splicing (any maybe a little tree work and rec climbing, too). But for now, I'll take it one order at a time.

I know there are a lot of people on this site (and the others as well) that have ordered rope from me. I think if y'all got together and had a chat, you'd all agree: good splices, but it takes a while to get your order back!

So thank YOU GUYS for your patience with me.

love
nick

I knew that damn thing would get dragged out sometime...

LOL

87%20Worst%20Party%20Ever.jpg

That's what the Asplundh suite looks like at TCIA after all the suits go to their meetings.

NOW thats funny Wagnaw! The Davey room, well thats another story!

Well here is my first attempt at a whoopie sling. Constructive criticism welcome!:/:

Attachments

• DSCF0573 [640x480].JPG
    DSCF0573 [640x480].JPG
    75 KB · Views: 100
Oh don't sell yourself short, all I did was copy what Nick did in his video. I think people who are good at tying knots would have a great understanding of how splicing works.

I am lucky that I have a shop full is stuff, and was able to make up a wand with a snare inside. If I was doing more than the occasional whoopie or loopie slings having the proper tools would be a MUST!

I probably made a mistake in making the eye too big, but I intend on using the two I made with our crane. Not for craning pieces out of the tree, but for lifting the logs off the ground onto the deck and trailer.

Like anything, becoming comfortable with new things should include putting the new gear through it's paces in a safe environment.;)

I've been very happy with the slings and prussics Nick has made for me, and will be ordering some beeline and an eye on a climbing line this spring.

From what I can see, it looks great. How far did you bury the tail for the non-adjustable eye?

Let's see a pic of your make shift splicing wand!

love
nick

Nick, I built 2 slings the bury on the one with the smaller eye is 12 inches, the large eye sling has a bury of 11 inches. Is there a problem making the eyes TOO large?

These were put together using the instructions from your web site. Thhe rope I used is 3/8 12 strand dyneema from Atlantic braids. The strands are single and NOT double like the yalex, did I use the appropriate instructions OR should I have done something else?

Here is a picture of the end of the home-made wand, which I made longer than needed. I am going to find a smaller diameter piece of stainless steel tube, I just don't know were I felt it! BTW the wire is stainless steel also, tough hard stuff.:O

Attachments

• DSCF0577 [640x480].JPG
    DSCF0577 [640x480].JPG
    87.6 KB · Views: 72
Neat idea for the wand. That's great that you don't have to thread the rope in...you just sorta pop it in and lock it down?

2 questions:
1- Does it work? Does the wire slip open?
2- what holds it down&locked on the other end?

love
nick

Sorry for the delay in replying. LOL yes it works, I used it to put the two whoopie slings together.

The wire is locked in using the guts of a house wiring mureet (sp). The type of coupler with the screw to secure 2 wires together and the twist on plastic cap.

Thanks Paul. Knew someone could spell better than me!

Back