Cool Rigging!

MasterBlaster

Administrator Emeritus
Caught this over at Steve's place, it looked fun!

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/BJvRRPuTm1c&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/BJvRRPuTm1c&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Sweet TD... was a little worried about the tangled saw in that one drop... We have quite a few like that here that houses eaves are notched out for... makes ya wonder what the home owner was thinking when they built the house. Have a white oak trim like that coming up, I'll try and get some pics...:/:

Good way to keep the blocks off the house. Nice camera angles, especially doing the top pieces.
I don't care for the way the groundie was stopping everything cold like that, too much janking around. It's weird how some guys never really get the idea of running a rope and others will smoothly land every piece in pile. Sorry about the side track there.
Good video for certain.

did you guys see how they had the rope run in the porty? never seen it that way before. looked like 3 wraps for a fairly small piece, maybe why it didnt run well

Do what?

I meant to say something about the porty. I haven't seen that before. Three regular style wraps on a big porty with a 1/2" rope will hold a couple of grand easy. I wonder if it gives more control for small pieces on a big porty. I'm gonna try it.

I'm nice to my help and my two regulars are the smoothly in a pile types... but contract climbing I get all kinds.

Just checked out this vid on Youtube earlier today myself. My first thoughts were "wow, that ground man is really snubbin that climber". After that I thought they had a nice rig setup and then I saw how the house was built around the tree and thought the tree huggers were at it again. Could have bombed that stem down but obviosly the goal was to leave a small footprint.

I think he mentioned something at Steves "yes I know the porty's tied wrong".

MY old boss used to snub shit off like that on me. Hard not to do natural crotch with trunk wraps. I'm climbing for him tommorrow, he's gonna try new school if it's up to me.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I hate it when the groundie running the ropes thinks he's too tough to wear gloves. Inevitably, he'll take that extra wrap or two which holds the load. Dumbasses...

I hate it when the groundie running the ropes thinks he's too tough to wear gloves. Inevitably, he'll take that extra wrap or two which holds the load. Dumbasses...

Yep I usually have to check with unfamiliar groundies, I make'em wear gloves. The big steel portys will hold fairly big stuff with only a half wrap. You should see my 14 year old run rope, his timing is tight.

I have a friend I like to run the porty for me on these kind of jobs. He knows how to let a piece run and not take too many wraps. It's definitely an artform to know how many wraps to take just by eyeballing a piece.

Seems like a crane would have made that job a lot easier. Looks like there was lots of room for one to set up.

Some people just have an aversion to cranes... They see it as giving money away. I don't really understand it.

I talked to a guy who works in D.C. at a conference, and he went on forever about how tear hinges are the best and how he can do just about any removal with careful rigging 'way safer' than using a crane. ...which I'm sure he's damn good without a crane, but...

...maybe I'm just lazy. ...yeah, that's probably it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
When a crane isn't used, and Bobcats/whatever aren't around, I always wonder how the trunk get loaded.

Some people just have an aversion to cranes... They see it as giving money away. I don't really understand it.

I talked to a guy who works in D.C. at a conference, and he went on forever about how tear hinges are the best and how he can do just about any removal with careful rigging 'way safer' than using a crane. ...which I'm sure he's damn good without a crane, but...

...maybe I'm just lazy. ...yeah, that's probably it.
This industry is chock full of people who just don't know what they just don't know. Ignorance is bliss.
:|:

....Hard way here too .... effective ! .... whassup with the line routing on the port o wrap .... maybe a slack moment away from ...

Back