Felling EAB Ash

Ed L

Treehouser
I've been felling some EAB infected (dead) Ash trees on my property, 18" to 22" at the stump and 60' to 80' tall. These trees still have the bark intact, other than where the birds have peeled it looking for EAB's.
I'm finding out that most are structurally worse than they appear. The tops are exploding upon impact with the ground and holding wood when felling is non existant. So far I haven't got much directional control, even when trying to wedge one over. I need to try leaving a thicker hinge.
Just wanted to give ya'll a heads up if you haven't been working with EAB Ash yet. Be extra carefull.

Ed

They just found EAB about 1 hour south of here. I sure hope it makes it up to me. I am starting my own company this spring and that might help out business. My current boss says that attitude is like a doctor hoping for war. I say, I just want to make enough money to pay the bills. I always heard that removing EAB trees takes longer and is harder on all of the equipment involved, esp. the chippers. Do you notice any difference on your chains? Do they dull out faster?

I sure hope it makes it up to me. I am starting my own company this spring and that might help out business. My current boss says that attitude is like a doctor hoping for war.

Your boss is right. I wouldn't wish pestilence on anyone. Get your head straight.

That was just a joke, there is plenty of tree work here with out EAB. I didnt mean to upset anyone.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
emr, I'm just cutting for firewood and the occasional saw log so my clean up is limited to making brush piles. Cutting these trees is no different than any other hardwood when it comes to chains. Keep it sharp and your good to go!

If EAB has been found an hour away, my guess is you already have it. I feel sorry for the people that have to look for the inital infestation in a given area, it's like the old needle-in-a-haystack thing.

Ed

My guess is that it is here too. They have traced the initial find back about 7 or 8 years. We have had really nasty looking as starting about 4 or 5 years ago. Nobody has come up with a good reason the ash are all looking so poor. We have been checking for EAB as we work, but have not seen anything yet. A state park just out side of town has been monitoring for 2 or 3 years now. I am sure there will be more outbreaks this summer.

EAB was found right down the street here last summer. It will be interesting to see how it multiplies this summer.

FJR...so its your fault that we now have it in WI. Thanks alot! Ok that was a joke too. The Wisconsin Arb. Association is actually having several arborists from Ill come to our winter conference this year to talk about how they are dealing with this pest. Apparently there are more outbreaks in Ill than are being reported. Kind of strange how something this big can not be getting more media attention.

EAB has gotten quite a bit of attention here in the paper. There have been talks of multi-million dollar plans to remove thousands of non-infected city trees. Right now there has only been isolated incidents recorded and nothing crazy has been done yet.

That was just a joke, there is plenty of tree work here with out EAB. I didnt mean to upset anyone.

Well then appropriate use of smilies would be in order such as :D or :P or even ;).

:D:D:D:D:P

http://www.emeraldashborer.info/treeage.cfm

Emamectin Benzoate is supposed to be the 'answer' for EAB, but I haven't spoken with anyone in the industry around here about the actual results. It's said to be 100% effective ?
We couldn't help but think that EAB would be a boon for us, but it is / was nothing short of a major pita. Customers are shocked & pissed off about the unexpected expense. Not cool for PR.
City contracts for removal run at break-even or under, and the big dogs get the contracts just to keep their crews busy through winter.

As far as hazards go, Ash that's been ravaged by EAB is brittle and unpredictable, and Ed's warning should be heeded.
Price these removals accordingly.

Hey Ed,

I live at EAB ground zero or on the other side of the Detroit (MI) River in Ontario.

You`d have a hard time finding a live ash tree in this area!

A few things to be aware of with infected trees once the EAB has visited it.

1- DON`T trust the trees structure, branches & limbs will break & fall with very little effort. I will not work on them if the branches overhang swimming pools. Pool liners & covers get to be expencive if a brittle branch falls & punctures a hole in it like a lawn dart!!! :what:

2- The most dangerous thing I`ve notices is that after the winter the frost has a tendancy to heave the roots & crack them causing the base to give way & fall when you least expect it. Be aware of this when working on them in high winds. We had 8 out of a row or 14 ash trees blow over the day before we started!!! Roots were shot from spring frost! ;)

3- If you shock the spar, your likely to release a bunch of branches & limbs so...WEAR YOUR HELMET and look up often!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Lawn Darts)

4- The Eab likes the ash trees but I have found one in a maple tree a few years back. I may have just been a fluke though, I haven`t seen one in a non-ash tree since.

If you have a ash tree removal and don`t have any hazards or obsticles under the tree, it`s possible to take out the crown (or a good bit of it) with T-Line & rope alone. Because the branches are brittle, sometimes all it takes is just a tug on the T-line to release the branch. Using the T-line, you can haul up the rope for larger branches or even snap the crown out, etc. It all depends on the tree.

In short ...DON`T TRUST A DEAD ASH TREE STRUCTURE or ROOTS !!!

Hope this helps,

Bob

Attachments

• EAB.jpg
    EAB.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 52
Back