jonsered 670 champ oil leak

• Thread starter blewgrass
  • Start date
  • Replies 8
  • Views 5K
B

blewgrass

just got a jonsered 670 champ and the thing is covered in oil. just started taking it apart and cleaning it but I was curious if anyone else has seen this or just knows if jonsereds leak. i'm a little worried it's leak from a bad case seam. saw runs well otherwise. thanks, mike.

They all leak, some worse than others. :P

Once you get it cleaned up, look at the oiler pump as well as the line (or seal) from the oil tank to the oiler. Also find the oil tank vent and check the one-way checkvalve there.

Jonsies don't leak-they generate oil from sawdust and atmospheric constituents. Most people are unaware that a fleet of old jonsey 670s was assembled in Sweden in response to the high price of oil and is 80% responsible for the drop in oil prices. Are you selling shares?

The few poor ones I have had the pleasure to deal with here were all dry, or should I say normally oily.

Jonsereds don't leak more than others.

Clean it up and have a look if you can see were it comes from.

Set it on cardboard with a few nut's between the saw and cardboard.
If it is a real leak you might see were it originates if it is dry and clean when you put it there.

Removing tank is no biggie...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Also find the oil tank vent and check the one-way checkvalve there.

no check valve here. does anyone know of an aftermarket valve i can put in?

It could be the little rubber thing under oiler on pressure under the pump.

I cut a piease of tube for these, seems to last better.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I have it narrowed down to either the vent line or the case seam. i'm planning on putting some sort of check valve on the vent line so air can go in, but oil can't come out. probably a duckbill valve. as far as the case seam is concerned, i'm thinking about using kreem inside the oil tank. i already have some left over from an old motorcycle project. has this been tried before?

If it is a leak in the case... Do it right and split it and replace the gasket.

If not in time you could get a crankcase leak run it lean and cook the engine.

I am not sure, but I never seen the leak there yet, they are usually pretty tight, espesially the Husqvarna 162 and 272.

Back