Chain Grinder

brendonv

Tree Hugger
Whose got one, and what kind? The Silvey 510 from what I've read is the "gem", but it doesn't look like it does rakers. I'd rather not spend $800, but ya never know. I'd like to look for something that does 3/8 low pro too.

I love my silvey 510.
Its super easy to operate.
I jut hit the rakers on a wheel grinder they are not all perfect , but the chains seem to cut pretty well.

i have the 510 and the silvey raker grinder, i love that little gem, its fast. check prices at madsens, i think i dropped 5hundred something each

they are made here in medford so if prices seem hihgh let me know and ill check here

I bought a Silvey "Razor Sharp" in 1990. About $400 then. You can sharpen different pitch chains no problem. Just tweak the adjustments and dress the stone a little and you can sharpen just about any chain their is.

Though I have to admit it took a while to learn how to dial it in and get those cutting angles just right.

i still struggle with shaping the stone on mine. the factory shaper sucks imo

I love to change the wheel and just try different stuff.
Yeah you have to dress the wheel and wear breathing mask.
Unfortunatly my palying results in a less fast cutting chain.
But heck we got at least 100 chains.
It dont really matter.
Rakers are easy i cant tell a massive difference if they arent perfect but its a working chain not a racer.

Guess they're like you, not answering their phone.

I have an Oregon grinder, I can look up the model when I get home.

No more work than we do, and as important of a skill that it is, you should learn to file. I hardly ever use my grinder.

haha, 4 minutes to 8 still:) they wont actually sell to you for less than RMV but they are great for info and support. definatly get it cheaper through madsens or my local saw shop

The one I have puts an edge on it, but for as little as I need I'd just assume to file.

$800 would nearly buy alot of chain. That'd last Brendon or I a decade or better.

There are pros 'and cons ' to chain grinders .

No more chainsaw use than I do it would not be practical at all .Maybe to conjure up a special grind for an occasional racer is all .

A person perhaps in logging or higher volume tree service work ,one would pay to have . On that note it seems in my casual observation that few in a service crew know how to file worth a damned . That's a pity but I suppose just a fact of life .

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
799 @ madsens.

Saw you called Carl, musta been asleep on Ashlys couch, slept 3 hrs the night before and got up at 3am.

I sharpened all the chain for the 400k we did this year.
The silvey 510 was a very good investmant for me.

799 @ madsens.

Saw you called Carl, musta been asleep on Ashlys couch, slept 3 hrs the night before and got up at 3am.

hmmmm, now that i have help that can file their own saws im thinkin bout a square grinder, dont order one just yet:/:

If you do something Willie and Brendon ends up not wanting it or making a deal. Keep the ole Squish in mind.;)

I have an Italian one, well made and very similar to the Oregon design, but mine hasn't fallen to chit and gotten all sloppy like the Oregon one a friend has. I bought it to use on carbide chain initially, but use it fairly regular now on standard chain. Won't do square ground chisel, and slightly less than adequate on rakers, which involves changing the grinding wheel. Baileys used to sell them.

i have the Stihl HOS grinder.it's a nice machine but i wish i would have bought the Silvey.i don't like having to change the wheel to do rakers.i usually just file them.

i have the Stihl HOS grinder.it's a nice machine but i wish i would have bought the Silvey.i don't like having to change the wheel to do rakers.i usually just file them.

When I bought my new MAXX, I kept my old Foley grinder & I keep the raker wheel on it so I don't have to keep switching wheels...

Back