And tommorow is a NEW day!

sawinredneck

Treehouser
Yep, my world gets turned upside down! Gotta shave, get a haircut and do an interview with the paper soon!
I am making a wood run, coming home, the I go to City hall and apply to run for Mayor.
Skeerd yet:D

I ran for Justice of the Peace a while back. Just so the sitting judge couldn't bust my balls anymore.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
The stnding mayor here has gotten a large head. He doensn't think he should have to sit and listen to people at a city council meeting anymore. He also has a hand in the "industrial park", a $17m, cluster of a project, off the beaten path, that has ben empty for three years:?
Lots of interesting thngs going on. A couple of councel members are not even running because of the BS going on.
I have desire to win, I don't want the job, but when he is bragging he is the only one "even willing to run to take on the challenges of tomorow!" Yeah, I'll stir the pot:D

No offense Andy, but...

You can't even decide if it's up to you to take a moral stand on an issue...

And that is your choice. I am not saying it's right, I'm not saying it's wrong. But who am I to decide that for someone else?

His moral stand in that statement is not pushing his beleif onto others. I think that's a moral stand.

That is interesting Erik.
I BELIEVE this country was founded on CHOICE and free will.
You want to own guns? Fine. You don't want to own guns, fine.
You want to believe in God, fine. You don't want to believe in God, fine.
If you want to have an abortion, fine. If you don't want to have an abortion, fine.
You want to drive a humonous car that gets 6MPG, fine. You want to save the Earth and drive a car that gets 50MPG, fine.
Why should I make these decisions? How is that MY right? Even if I were president, how is it MY right to decide what you should and shouldn't do? I don't get that, some SOB that doesn't know anything about me, gets to decide what part of the constitution HE THINKS applys to me?
Then we have people trying to DEMAND what parts apply to me.
You don't like abortion, that is fine, spread the word, tell everyone. Go protest and councel at the clinics. But until you have walked the that persons shoes, who are you, or I, to judge?

Erik you're missing that Andy is standing for rights at their fundamental roots. For right or wrong he's standing for something. The right to personal choice, how far you'd want to take that would definetly be up to debate.

He's not standing... he's taking the path of least resistance.

I disagree, but in the interest of peace, I'll leave it at that. Andy knows we still love him, even if he's a stubborn turd. =;

He's not standing... he's taking the path of least resistance.

I disagree, but in the interest of peace, I'll leave it at that. Andy knows we still love him, even if he's a stubborn turd. =;

I am not getting pissy at all. I get what you are saying. But those to me are beliefs, not rights. Believe what you want, but it shouldn't infringe on anothers rights.
Say I wanted to nationalize athiesim. God is now dead, go to church, you will end up in prison. Science has proven there is no way an "omnipresent being" can not exist!
Guns are, bad, they kill people, no more guns, try and buy one, you will be put in a database and at a later date I will hunt you down and put you in jail.
Cool with all those choices?

Erik, I think that you are missing a point here, Not everything has to be black or white, though unfortunately pigeon holing seems to be what most voters want to do when looking at the people running for office. It's well been shown that the voters don't study the issues themselves. By politicians taking any kind of stand, someone out there in John Doe land is going to become offended, right off the bat. Andy seems to be saying that he wants to take issues as they arrive, weigh the merits of the pros and cons before deciding. That sounds like indeed a "new day", not having the excess of unfulfilled promises, and cowtowing to select interests to get his azz in the big cozy chair.

I can't help but think that most people would want someone in office who can study the issues at hand, seek advice where appropriate, then make the call on what seems best at the time. It might not work, but I'd love to hear someone say, "Beliefs....let me start out by saying that I'm against beliefs. The policy here is to start from scratch".

Cowtowing to get their asses in the big comfy chair... is exactly why things are so screwed up now.

I WANT someone with beliefs; preferably, that align with mine. I don't want a sheep in office.

I WANT someone with beliefs; preferably, that align with mine. I don't want a sheep in office.

That's just the point, want a politician who has the strength and integrity to call them as they see them, on any given day. All the better if the decisions agree with your perspective. If they don't, honesty and due consideration is still deserving of respect. The hypocritical ones who flip flop around to suit the advantages for themselves at the moment, that has gotten the world in trouble, and government moves like a beached whale.

I am a bit confused Erik, maybe it is me.
I am not a sell out. I am not afraid to upset people because I don't agree with what they believe.
There are rights, and there are beliefs. Easy as that. The RIGHT to keep and bear arms.
The RIGHT to freedom of religion, athiest or not.
The RIGHT to make chioces, good or bad as long as it doesn't affect someone elses rights.
As I said, I am an enigma, I have a diverse set of beliefs from both sides of the political line. It is supposed to be a "free" country is it not?

It's a very complex issue, are there really just patented answers that should be asked to work for everyone?

Back