Next Project !

dastevoe

Wood Hacker
Got the next 038 super on one bench, an 026 tore down on another :D:D.
When looking over the super I noticed the tank/handle assembly is plastic ! When did they switch over to resin ?
Is there a way to determine the date of manufacture and country of origin by the serial #'s ?If so, does it apply to all Stihl saws?
The 026 is another hand me down !! This "gift" wasn't seized ,however... when I pulled it over it had a "funny" little sound to it and next to no comp.So into the shop I go, pull the muffler and SURPRISE,a nice chunk out of the bottom of the piston skirt.Pulled the cylinder off and had a look.It appears the walls are galled up,how can I clean this mess up without damaging the bore ?? Acid ??
I'm going to be quizzing y'all on this mod. too ! Anyone have any tips on an 026 :?
Thanks,
Steve

I bought my first 'big' saw about 22 years ago, it was a brand new 038 Magnum. And it had the same plastic tank/ handle assembly as your antique 038 Super. So I'll assume the 'switch' was sometime before then. The early 70s or so, maybe???

SOTC had a thread where he documented modding his 026 recently, lots of good info there.

The 038 AVs' had the metal tank .As far as I know the supers and the Mag and Mag II all had plastic tanks .

The metal ones are the cause of many an AV to get put on the shelf .They wont survive a fall like the others .In addition to that the danged metal tanks will corrode around the anti vib mount screws and are a beech to break them loose,nearly impossible .

You don't see too many Supers ,mainly the Mags ,a few AV's .

I can't say much about the innards of a super ,never peeled one down to the bones .However the AV's had an offset combustion chamber for reasons unknown to me .The mags have a hemi chamber dead center of the cylinder .Some came with a factory duel port muffler ,some did not .The extra muffler hole improved the performance .

Pulled the cylinder off and had a look.It appears the walls are galled up,how can I clean this mess up without damaging the bore ?? Acid ??
Steve
Some folks have used muratic acid with good success .I use kerosine and a Scotch -Brite pad .
Usually what you see is just aluminum residue .The plated bore is tougher than most people think .

A suggestion though .If it grenaded a piston it would be a good idea to split the cases and give it a real good cleaning .All it takes is for one tiny sliver of aluminum to lodge in a bearing then you have more problems .

I rebuilt a Mag a few years back for Tom the tree guy,[Alpine tree ] that had a piston in a zillion pieces . It took splitting the cases and a new clutch side bearing .Not a big deal ,just another thing .;)

sawcollector posted at the Forestry Forum that if the serial starts in #1 it's German, #2 US, #3 Brazil, #4 China. No saws imported from China.

I am not sure about dates on the switch from alloy to plastic but it happened on both the 028 and 038 saws. I think it was a clear switch for all versions. I have a pair of 038 saws with each version, so I will look at the serial numbers and see if that indicates anything, and I will look through he old tech bulletins next week and see what they say.
The discussion goes on about which is better, but plastic is lighter, will give a little in a drop, and doesn't corrode if the tank is full of water.
The old 020 saws sure did break when they were dropped!

I once emailed the serial number on a saw to Stihl, I think the European site. They courteously responded with the date of manufacture.

Back