Would you do this for free?

wiley_p

Climbing Up
I'm in a bit of a spot here. I had told the developer that owns my property that if they had a tree that was sketch for them I would take care of it.
Meaning, local, 2 maybe 3 hours work kind of deal, maybe even a couple of times.

Well he wants to know if I will go to Delaware and do this tree. I guess the low bid seems to high.
I'm torn, I want to honor the offer I had made, but Delaware? WTF?

Attachments

• IMG_0140.jpg
    IMG_0140.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 258
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
couple more. 44" at he butt. unknown height.

Attachments

• IMG_0141.jpg
    IMG_0141.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 257
  • IMG_0142.jpg
    IMG_0142.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 257
I sure would. I would pack all my saws and gear onto a plane from Seattle, fly 3000 miles to Delaware (that's in Quebec right?), cut down that tree, and then fly all my crap back home FOR FREE.

If somebody offers me something like you did, I wouldn't expect them to incur any cost other than their labor.

I sure would. I would pack all my saws and gear onto a plane from Seattle, fly 3000 miles to Delaware (that's in Quebec right?), cut down that tree, and then fly all my crap back home FOR FREE.

Unless they're brand new, you'll be taking the gas tanks off of those saws if you're flying nowadays... assuming you mention it to the nice lady at the check-in counter.

I wasn't actually serious Blinky. There's no way in hell I would ever do a job on the other side of the country for free.

But that's probably not the point. I'm betting that this guy is willing to pay Wiley's fare to get him to Delaware. The question is whether you would take down a 44" tree for nothing. This is at least a whole day of work, maybe more depending on the situation on the ground. It's not like this is your Grandma Wiley, whom you cannot say no to.

I'd say he's frigging nuts.

Exactly what I thought. Except I did offer to give them a hand on a tricky tree IF needed, local, as in 20-30 miles. This is what seems to happen to me frequently, I give a guy a chit and when they call it in, its way beyond what I was thinking.

The low bid was 5300.00. From the pics I must not be seeing something.

A day of labor and 2 days travel time. I'd expect all expenses and a month of rent free living.

Thats the 22 Carl. I watch property for this company. Which means I don't pay rent, just utilities. Though in "watching" the last patch of timber I had to make it clear to some individuals that they were trespassing, and a good chance some of those same folks are the ones who cleaned me out for several grand. I do provide a service it seems in exchange for no rent, but again maybe its no perceived that way always.

maybe make a reasonable offer of paid expenses etc and a grand of pocket money? Surely they will still be way ahead of the low bid?

If I can get my lift to the tree, dump fees are under $40 a ton, and there's no licensing or other bureaucratic expenses, I could do it for $4k this weekend, if the dump is open.

:D

The stump would be extra.

Speaking of East. Any you fellas recognize what type of tree it is. It maybe ain't a Water Oak like I thought. Beech?

Beech is real easy to spurclimb, thin bark and all. Also really straight forward to take down. It is the national tree here and the species I fall most of every year.
It looks like there is plenty of room to just dump all the branches straight down with a snapcut, except some of the thin stuff near the house, that'll likely take a little handsawing or onehanding the t200 while you swing it away. A good climber could take that tree apart in maybe 3 hours, no need for a lift.
You wouldn't even need anybody on the ground, if you don't have to do clean-up. Dump the branches, and fall the trunk on top of them, and get back on the plane for home.
Someone local must have a t200 and a falling saw, you can borrow, so all you need to bring is your spurs, saddle and rope.

I'd re-inforce to the landlord guy that you meant LOCALLY. And that no way can you suffer huge expenses to do that tree for free. Clarify what he meant, if he meant he'll pay to fly you there put you up and your meals, then maybe you could do it for free as long as it doesn't interfere with anything else you've got going on.

It's a beech alright . Not bad cut green .Harder than Kelsey's nuts after it dries out .

You have to remember where it's at ,Delaware .Nothing is cheap in that state but the sea food in season is tasty .

It doesn't surprise be a bit with a 5 grand price .You get close to DC the prices head towards the sky on everything .

I miss beech trees.

I miss hurting beech trees.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/iLqbHccU-H8&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/iLqbHccU-H8&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Back