today's pics

• Thread starter forestryworks
  • Start date
  • Replies 22
  • Views 3K
F

forestryworks

went snagfalling again today... did about four or five...

it was about a ten minute walk between each tree
so a little over two hours had gone by from when i left
to when i got back to the truck.

DSCN0622.jpg

took the dog with me... his name is eddie.

here's the first tree - a dead elm if i remember correctly.

DSCN0616.jpg

DSCN0617.jpg

DSCN0618.jpg

DSCN0619.jpg

i didn't get very far on the back cut before she took off...

next tree had been struck by lightning some years ago.
this is as close as i'll get to cutting on a fire.
DSCN0620.jpg

i forgot the stump shot :roll:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
next is just your average dead white oak (post oak)
DSCN0623.jpg

DSCN0624.jpg

DSCN0625.jpg

DSCN0627.jpg

my backcut was a tad low on my off side... but i still hit the lay

and the last tree was another elm
DSCN0628-1.jpg

DSCN0629.jpg

and i forgot the coveted stump shot once again

walkin' back to the truck, the dog and i rounded a bend and came head to head with an opossum. naturally the possum makes a wide turn to avoid us. eddie would have none of it. (mind you i had all my falling gear on and a saw in hand). he decides to go after it. after a jolting lunge (had him leashed on some parts of the walk) he picks it up and gives it a good shake and the possum goes limp. then he walks head held high as if he was gonna take it home and have a hoedown. that i would have none of...

DSCN0631.jpg

I like that pic with the deep blue sky background, looks like a sculpture.

Why were you cutting them, firewood?

Why were you cutting them, firewood?

if the wood is any good, then yes, firewood, if not, then i leave them.

per the landowner's wishes... i just cut.

never had the opportunity to climb

Good cuttin man! Get a little bit of everything cuttin stuff like that. Thanks for postin up pics.

What size bar are you running on that saw? 460 is it? Looks like a 3/4 wrap too? Full comp chain? I just like to know the details cause I cut stuff just like that sometimes and run a 460 half wrap, 24" bar, full comp. round. When I'm not using that I use one of the other 12 saws, lol.

Good cuttin man! Get a little bit of everything cuttin stuff like that. Thanks for postin up pics.

What size bar are you running on that saw? 460 is it? Looks like a 3/4 wrap too? Full comp chain? I just like to know the details cause I cut stuff just like that sometimes and run a 460 half wrap, 24" bar, full comp. round. When I'm not using that I use one of the other 12 saws, lol.

thanks for the good word, nails

it's a 440 and yes 3/4 wrap with a 28" b&c - skip, round, and an old square ground that will soon be round... the 440 has had a little work done to it

Some great stump shots forestry works. Snags are some tricky shat. Keeps you on your toes fur sure8)

for sure... some of them talk as they start to go and some just take off like a ghost... that'll get you unnerved a bit
oh and thanks for the good word also...

I had one yesterday that sat there till I about went through the hinge. It had lean and plenty of want to go where I wanted it and just hung there. I was just shaving a little more off the back cut with the tip just to coax er. It was a center leader about 4' high to the cut. Funny how they will either just pop and shoot or just hang there till there is almost no wood holding her. I was saying to myself "don't make me pull out my wedge!" LOL
Forgot to mention I was trying to save the other two leaders and the tree.

thanks for the good word, nails

it's a 440 and yes 3/4 wrap with a 28" b&c - skip, round, and an old square ground that will soon be round... the 440 has had a little work done to it

Ahh yes the 440. I have 2 of those also. I don't own a 28", I go 20",24",
32", and 36". Sounds like a nice setup you have.

Did you get it ported? I open my muffler a bit and will probably port em' in the future.

Ahh yes the 440. I have 2 of those also. I don't own a 28", I go 20",24",
32", and 36". Sounds like a nice setup you have.

Did you get it ported? I open my muffler a bit and will probably port em' in the future.

it's just a big bore chamber with an 064 pop-up piston...

I tried to warn him... but he wouldn't listen... :lol: :lol:

He is supposed to be headed out west to WA soon to a timber cuttin' job in a bit... :)

Gary

wouldn't that be the day? :D

Back