Homelites??

CurSedVoyce

California Hillbilly
I just scored a couple of old Sears saws.
One is a 2.5 cube the other a 3.7 cube.
Both say sears and have the cube info on the bars still, the 3.7 looks like a stainless steel bar also. They are going to take some cleaning. The homeowner gave them to me.. I left the 3.7 there as it was in a few pieces and I was just wanting to get home. I will pick it up next time I am there in Feb.
They are devoid of fuel etc, so I bet they will start if I clean them up. They have been in storage for years!
Doubt they are anything real special, but with the manual oilers and the client might even have the owners manuals for them and being free, kinda cool :D

Attachments

• IMG_2027.JPG
    IMG_2027.JPG
    787 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_2028.JPG
    IMG_2028.JPG
    723.7 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_2029.JPG
    IMG_2029.JPG
    836.6 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_2030.JPG
    IMG_2030.JPG
    934.8 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_2031.JPG
    IMG_2031.JPG
    940 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_2034.JPG
    IMG_2034.JPG
    855.7 KB · Views: 4
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Last old homelite I got I gave to my groundie to practice sharpening and cutting with. It was a lil low in compression but still running pretty good. It was also a top handle and not as old ass these. I don't know if these are Homelites or not as they just say Sears. Al might know. Don't know what I am going to do with them yet as I don't have any groundies right now that need to practice saw work and sharpening... Just get them running for chits and giggles I guess and then see...
Also I need to know the mix.. I am guessing 25-1.
The homeowner did not find the manuals yet as she is still sorting through her Dad's estate.

Don't use a special fuel mix. If your current mix fuel is good enough for your other saws, it's good enough for all of them. 2 stroke motors don't have a ratio requirement, they have a lubrication requirement. If you want to mix straight 30 wt non-detergent motor oil with your gas then you'll probably need 24-1 or even 16-1 in order to provide enough lubrication. But if you're using a modern semi-synthetic 2 stroke mix oil then 50-1 will provide much more lubrication than was available when that saw was made.

If you don't believe me, ask Gary (GASoline71) about oil mix ratios. He's the forum expert. :lol:

So if I read ya right Brian... The reason the older saws required higher oil to gas ratio than now is that the mix (especially synthetic like what I use) was just not engineered well enough for the time.. Ok that's a start...
BTW ... in the pic you can see the handle is hanging a bit .. I gave it a pull to feel the compression and did not notice the mud wasp nest in the housing .. LMAO:lol::lol::lol:

I want a small McCulloch for my son. McCulloch's his last name. Whenever he's asked to spell it he says, "like the chainsaw'.

I don't know if that thing is a Homelite or a Roper. I would lean more towards the the later .

There was a period of time than Sears saws were made by Roper .Fact is my dad had several of the 3.7 cu inch models .

The old boy just couldn't keep his fingers out of the engines and twisted the cranks off in a couple of them . Too much power I suppose :?

At any rate he gave up on them and bought McCulloch after that .My youngest bro has the last Roper the old man ever owned and I have the last Mac .

The 3.7's didn't do bad but you have to remember that was the early to mid 70's .

I'll have to see if I can get that 3.7 running. Maybe do a comp test and run it against the 036 pro. The 036 is about the same size engine. Should be interesting.
Roper eh? Hmmmmmm.:/:

Roper or a Remington... Sears had a lot of saws manufacturers make saws for them over the years. You would be suprised at what you can still get parts for through sears. Go to Sears.com and check.

I did some work on a very old riding lawn mower for a buddy of mine a few years back. Sears had every part I needed available online... amazed me.

...and yes. Brian is 100% correct on the oil mix ratio thingy. I run 50:1 Stihl synthetic in all my saws. Even the 30 to 40 year old Homelites that required 20:1 mix with 30wt motor oil when they were new. They still run just fine...

Gary

An 036 should out cut that old saw with no problem but chances are it won't out lug it . Like I said after my pap tweeked those few they would twist the cranks right in two . They would have most likely been okay if the old boy didn't lean on them so hard . Lawdy he would hook the dog and you would think he was running a gear drive . Old habits die hard they say .

Figured the 036 should. Guess the torque is the key with the old saws. Being almost the same cc rating I just thought it would be fun to run them side by side just for shits and giggles.
Thanks Brian and Gary for the mix info. Now just have to take some time and clean em up and give them a kick to see what haps. Her dad took pretty good car of his stuff so I imagine they went into storage running good. And like I said, he drained them prior to storing.

There was a list posted on CSCF a while back of how to see what MFG did what...

Not sure were it is, but a search could do good....

I doubt it is a Homelite...
Roper, maby... Not to good at these store saws, especially those never sold in Europe.

Those old saws are just typical of what you find .For reasons unknown they got shelved for maybe 15-20 years more or less .Surprisingly if the gas was ran out of them prior to they often fire right up .

A good plan though before they get pulled over much is to pull the plug and give them a nice shot of WD-40 or something ,same with the chain . Dump about a half a tank full of tranny oil through if they fire up then change it over to bar oil . Just kind of helps limber them up .

Good advice.. Thanks Al... I did not have time to play with the smaller one today that I brought home. Was busy watching the kiddos so momma could go get stuff done. Then outside to help Rob finish fencing a two acre portion of the back side. Let the goats loose in it tonight to start brushing it for us :D

Back