Flooding

• Thread starter Bounce
  • Start date
  • Replies 14
  • Views 2K
B

Bounce

No workie for me today - roads are all closed due to flooding. The only way out is by boat right now.

Attachments

• 563-09_Flooding_Aerials_0279_standalone_prod_affiliate_39.jpg
    563-09_Flooding_Aerials_0279_standalone_prod_affiliate_39.jpg
    274.4 KB · Views: 85
  • 881-13-09_Flooding_Aerials_0290_standalone_prod_affiliate_39.jpg
    881-13-09_Flooding_Aerials_0290_standalone_prod_affiliate_39.jpg
    290.4 KB · Views: 83
  • 985-09_Flooding_Aerials_0275_standalone_prod_affiliate_39.jpg
    985-09_Flooding_Aerials_0275_standalone_prod_affiliate_39.jpg
    187.3 KB · Views: 81
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yep, me and mine are all just fine but lots of folks around here are being evacuated to higher ground. Luckily I live on an island already so am used to being surrounded by water. :lol:

I've spent the last week doing flood damage surveys and managing emergency road and drainage structure repairs on the NF road system here. Good chunk of OT, but I have been wet and tired for a bit longer than I'd choose...

I hear you Sean, not much north of you and we are having fun with the same stuff. :) stay dry!

This time is a recordbreaker for the Stilly, and the Snoqualmie. The entire Snoqualmie valley is now a lake. The Stillaguamish went Way over the banks and the road this time. Steelheading is done this year for sure. This weather we have had the last month has come in the wrong order.

From a local news source:
Flooding hitting both sides of the border
Mike Lloyd CHILLIWACK (NEWS1130) | Friday, January 9th, 2009 7:10 am CHILLIWACK (NEWS1130) - Most rivers and creeks in southwestern BC and western Washington have crested but flooding is still a big problem in many areas. The Greendale area south of the TransCanada Highway from Lickman Road to the Vedder Canal is one of the hardest hit parts of the Fraser Valley.

The City of Chilliwack says 20 to 70 houses have been evacuated.

In Washington State, some of the 40-thousand people evacuated are trying to return home and they are looking at when they can re-open I-5 through Chehalis south of Seattle as floodwaters recede.

They also hope to reopen Snoqualmie Pass on I-90 by this afternoon.... Washington State Highways are still closed in 49-locations.

There was a great misfortune in my neighborhood...a woman's pickup was swept off the road when she tried to ford flooding over the road to her home very near to my place...truck went into the creek and was rolled downstream several hunderd feet...sad to say she drowned. Left two young daughters parentless.

ouch, that sucks. I always wonder what is important enough for someone to try and take a car across an obviously flooded road, I dont think most folks understand the chance they are taking.

You're right, Paul.

In this case she was heading home after her shift tending bar, at about 10 pm. Her kids were at home with someone...she needed to get there to let the sitter go on home, too.

The alternate route around would have been 20+ miles long, in the dark, in horrid heavy rain, over less than sterling condition back roads. I can see how she made the decision to try it...

Indeed. I can understand the attempt. Hope her kids are taken care of.

I was thinking more of the city folk that think their '89 Corolla can make it through 2 feet of rushing or standing water when roads or streets flood.

I have driven over what looked to be a skim of water over a backroad and ended up headlights deep, managed to get out but it scared me good. Been through ice on a waterhole in a buddy's truck one winter too, made me laugh, wasn't my truck and the whole lot of us were 2 sheets to the wind. Was an ordeal getting the thing out though, thats for sure, I have it on video if anyone ever happens by my place. Its on a VHS tape labelled 'dumbass moments'.

Back