Backcountry menu

arborworks1

Treehouser
So I'm off to do some backwoods hiking this weeked. I have some noodles to boil and a few mre's

What about some other recipes for a small camp stove?

The Brits are big on cooking lunch OTJ, they should have some ideas. I pack a ham n cheese sammich, myself.

I eat simple when I'm packing... mostly dehydrated carbs like ramen noodles, coos coos, rice, gorp, wasabi peas, a few dehydrated meals... I friggin' hate MREs.

One thing for sure though, I eat about a half pound of chocolate a day and I switch from coffee to Sherpa tea the whole time I'm out.

Bears like chocolate.

Sherpa tea is basically English tea with gobs of sugar, lots of cream too if you have it on you. It's just easier to make than coffee but it still has a little kick.

I like the tuna in foil packs. They're easy to haul & open, & there are some seasoned ones that are really tasty (lemon pepper, YUM !)
Instant oatmeal hits the spot when you need hot food.

When I used to camp regularly I carried these dehydrated meals and some snacky stuff like trail mix or what have you. I think I still have 15 or 20 packages, never ate them and figured they could do just fine in the household emerg kit.

Dry some of your own ingrediants...dehydrated smoked chicken added to some dehydrated frozen sweet corn, some instant mashed potato flakes, a packet of hunter style gravy...yummy. Cheaper, lighter, more and better food than any prepared, packaged trail food.

Try the same chicken, mixed with a couple of packages of ramen noodles, thickened with potato flakes...absolutely delightful chicken noodle soup.

The chicken rehydrates well soaked in hot water for half hour or so while you put up the tent.

My wife and I have 6 or 8 dinners we make ourselves for our backpacking.

Back