MS 200T handle

Al Smith

Mac Daddy
The Ms 200T is one of the best climbing saws ever made .It is however one of the most frustrating to work on .

Probably the most challenging thing to do on one is reassemble the handle .It's not that hard if you know a few tricks .I do but it still took me 20 minutes -half an hour to get it back together .

Start with the boot end first .Spray the boot with WD-40 .Form a loop on the bottom side of the boot with a stout cord ,chalk line whatever .Start the top side of the boot through the hole in the handle using a blunt screwdriver or something .Be careful not to tear it .Needle nose pliers are handy too .

Once the top part has started in ,walk the string around to get the bottom .

Reassemble the rest of it then .Make sure to get the impulse line attached to the under portion of the handle .

Attachments

• MS 200T handle 001.jpg
    MS 200T handle 001.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 108
  • MS 200T handle 002.jpg
    MS 200T handle 002.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 108
  • MS 200T handle 003.jpg
    MS 200T handle 003.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 108
  • MS 200T handle 004.jpg
    MS 200T handle 004.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 107
Them things are frustrating if you have not worked on that many. A few more and you will be replacing a piston in 20 minutes :D

I used to hate working on them, now they are no different than any other saw.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'd like to see the guy or gal that could peel a 200 down to the bones ,replace a piston and get it back together in 3 hours ,let alone 20 minutes .:lol:

I'd like to see the guy or gal that could peel a 200 down to the bones ,replace a piston and get it back together in 3 hours ,let alone 20 minutes .:lol:

pondering the thought of seeing If I could do this :P

I got one that needs torn down.

20 minutes lol. i know i could tear it down that fast, put it back together hmm :D

It doesn't count unless you can reuse the parts now .:P

Ive seen alot that got torn down in a matter of seconds, usually by means of a tree or skidder tire.

One day a guy brought me 4 ms460's 2 were damn near new. He got them all out of his truck and set them out of the way for some reason... skidder ran over all 4 of them at once. :lol::cry::lol:

Took me 20 mins or more to do the bar oiler exchange.
Now to figure out that carb bog and stumble.

Oh I can swear a little bit in German . I've been wrenching on Stihls all week since I'm off work .

Let's see--066--038Mag --028 super --039 --and this microscopic little half pint thing .

Ha ,I put that little gem together ,primed it and damned if it didn't take off like a little bumble bee .

I'll stick a bar and chain on it and test it out .This one will go under the die grinder and turn into a little rip snorter .:|:

off subject but
I dislike the oil and gas tank design on those small stihls, i always damage the bottom of that white plastic casing at the seam and wind up spending close to 200 bucks a time to put a new tank assembly in the saw, thats one of the few drawbacks to the saw ive found

It's not a fact of if they leak but rather when .

One smart ass on another site had the stupidity to say that non Stihl chain was the cause of his Stihl 066 ,of which he worshiped ,was the cause of it dribbling on his lilly white floor . Nothing could be further from the truth .:?

It's not a fact of if they leak but rather when .

:cry: yeah spend 500 bucks on a saw knowing in a year you will be spending another 200 isnt very fun, but it sure cuts fast, its the one saw i like to make spear cuts with.
something good abot my echo saws, they dont break, and theyre cheaper, a little guttles but they work and i can keep my 200 for when i really need it

Little climbers get the dickens beat out of them ,just comes with the territory . On more that one occasion I've taken two or three that got trashed and made one runner out of them .

Regarding the Echos ,I don't have much experiance with them . I do however have a little 310-3100 whatever that was given to me .

It had seen service for a trimmer but had sat for ten years with a sprung spring which took me forever to get back in . I got it going and it really doesn't seem to be a bad little saw . I haven't weighed it but it seems lighter than a 200T .

off subject but
I dislike the oil and gas tank design on those small stihls, i always damage the bottom of that white plastic casing at the seam and wind up spending close to 200 bucks a time to put a new tank assembly in the saw, thats one of the few drawbacks to the saw ive found

never had that problem, as best as i can understand this post. yeah they seep oil from day one if left sitting but not enough to fix

Back