Well?

• He's a RIPOFF!!!

Votes: 5 50.0%
  • Awesome trainer!

Votes: 5 50.0%

• Total voters

MasterBlaster

Administrator Emeritus
I have a friend who is using a personal trainer. The price seems kinda steep - $60 a visit. I figured they would use this trainer for a few weeks to learn what to do, but it seems they are gonna use them forever. Personally, I feel this "trainer" is milking my friend for as much money as they can get. Plus, I can't understand why my friend thinks they STILL need him. They plead "He motivates me," but all I can see is $60 disappearing every time this trainer "motivates" my friend.

My friend is being ripped off and doesn't know it.

What ya'll think?

I didn't vote, never used one. A lot of fitness trainers sell themselves as more than they... kinda like a lot of treeguys now that I think about it. If you want to get in condition for something specific, a trainer should be able to help select the best regimen and then coach you when you need it.
But some act like shrinks and want you to see them every week or something... that seems a bit over the top to me.

Just do lots of pullups, pushups and situps... and keep the ibuprofen handy.

It's a service is all. Many services we pay for are for things we could easily do ourselves. If a person has the discretionary income to pay somebody to wipe his butt, good for him!

Probably that's the only way that a lot of folks can stay in shape, having someone there in person to motivate them. A lot of exercise equipment gets sold and used once or twice.

It's a service is all. Many services we pay for are for things we could easily do ourselves. If a person has the discretionary income to pay somebody to wipe his butt, good for him!

A good point. I don't work on my saws but I could if I wanted to take the time and learn how. I'd rather pay the guy down the street who makes his living at it.

I'm personal epic motivated too... that and I need a girlfriend in the house before I let myself get fat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I can't believe ya'll. So, 3 x 60 = $180 a WEEK? That's not wack? And don't forget the club membership. Ya'll must have more money than me...

A female friend of mine years ago paid a personal trainer 3X week for 3 years so she could get "ripped" after said 3 she needed 2 replacement Knees as she had destroyed them lifting Too much:? After 3 years of intense exercise and brutal dieting she then couldnt hardly walk so is now obese and severly depressed. I think she should either shoot or sue the freakin "personal trainer" but she says he was her friend, just one that charges you for every minute and totally screws up your body??????

I go to a fitness center every morning, largely due to the fact that I am not self motivated enough to exercise on my own. The owner is a pretty knowledgeable person, was a lab tech and physical therapist in a hospital. I can get advice when I need it, but it is covered in the $30/month fee (thanks for senior discounts).

As to a trainer charging, that is what we do in a plant health care program. We charge to help manage the health of your trees and I would hope that most of us are at least $60/hr.
Didn't vote either. I do not know what kind of service is being provided, so do not know if he is awesome or a rip off.

When I started going to a PT (physical therapist)....it was really nice. They'd take care of me, often sit there and watch me go through my excercises, say nice things about my musculature and make me feel all fuzzy and warm (as well as getting me on the road to recovery.)

I really enjoyed it and it boosted my moral as much as anything, which anyone who's been out of shape or injured knows about.

BUT..I did get to a point where I realized that I was essentially being pampered at a price I couldn't justifiy. I asked if I could do the same thing at home and they were completely understanding and supportive. They gave me directions, told me to call or stop by with ANY questions....which I did.

I can't say I was anywhere near as dedicated on my own as I was with all that support, but .....it was time.

Maybe your friend is getting more than just exercise out of the deal.

I could understand seeing a trainer to get a routine established but regular use after the initial phase seems like fleecing to me. As for motivation, I cant comment, I have none.

:D

I can see using a PT long term just for motivation, if I could afford it.
Better option would be to find a friend who wants to work out as well, and motivate each other.

To add to underwor's post, a lot of people can't work alone anymore. So the trainer is a "workout partner" as well as a trainer. They also look at the costs and that motivates them as well. "I am paying this much money, I'd better get off my butt and go!"
Then, how many hours are they working with them for that $60 a trip? I had a buddy that went to school for that, lots of training, lots of schooling, lots of money wrapped up in that feild.

I tried years ago to get a trainer so I could strengthen my back. I couldn't get one that would work with me and my degenerative disc. They didn't want the liability.

If you like working out at the park, for the ladies, a personal trainer can also serve as a body guard. It makes for more reasonable expense.

Attachments

• 70612p67_halliwell_b_gr_01.preview.jpg
    70612p67_halliwell_b_gr_01.preview.jpg
    161.5 KB · Views: 2
Che: often sit there and watch me go through my excercises, say nice things about my musculature and make me feel all fuzzy and warm

:lol:
Che, most gyms are meat markets, you could get the same thing without paying for it just by having guys check you out!

Didn't vote, as I have never paid a trainer, but I do have a massage lady that I go to sometimes. She costs 75 bucks.

Back