Very bad citrus disease likely heading your way

Thanks for the info. Our Citrus industry took a big hit with Citrus Canker. The government thought they could get rid of it by cutting down the trees. Now they know they can not control it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
How come so much invasive stuff comes from Asia?

Asia covers a lot of very diverse territory. I would guess that the costs involved in isolating diseases and the research to find cures, the manpower involved, has been more limited in this part of the world. Maybe the fact that for a long time, more shipping and imports, bringing contamination from east to west, is a factor....?

Dutch elm disease hasn't made it over here yet.

Re.: Invasive stuff from Asia > It was explained to me that their trees have adapted / developed defenses against EAB & others, whereas our trees have not ? Kinda made sense.
International trade opened a pandora's box, but you can't turn back the hands of time.
P.S. This 'greening' citrus disease sounds pretty bad. Anything bacterial is gonna be tough to fight. We dealt with a huge rash of fire blight in apple trees about 15 yrs. ago & it wiped out a lot of orchards.

It's already here in Florida. I know some growers who are experiencing serious losses due to greening.

Re.: Invasive stuff from Asia > It was explained to me that their trees have adapted / developed defenses against EAB & others, whereas our trees have not ? Kinda made sense.
International trade opened a pandora's box, but you can't turn back the hands of time.
P.S. This 'greening' citrus disease sounds pretty bad. Anything bacterial is gonna be tough to fight. We dealt with a huge rash of fire blight in apple trees about 15 yrs. ago & it wiped out a lot of orchards.

We've been watching out for it for a while now, http://www.daff.gov.au/aqis/quarantine/naqs/naqs-fact-sheets/citrus-greening Considering how our Citrus growers are going, that would just about be the end. #-o

i wonder if it can be contained by climate,
kind of like the eucalyptus lerp psyld and tortoise shell beetles are stuck south of here due to rain and cold weather
i wonder if it will stay in the warmer climates
its not like we grow a lot of citrus here,
but eureka lemons are fairly abundant here

Back