Brummell

brendonv

Tree Hugger
I bought some 3/8" tenex to make some loopies to keep on my saddle with a pulley, and one with an 8 for a self lowering system. According to sherrill and Nick, they would have around a 1k WLL, which I never exceed on any line anyways.

I am probably going to make some eye slings too, with the locking brummell. How much of a tail to I need to bury after the locking brummell? From what Nick says in his vids, the brummell is the splice. I want to keep the buried part as short as possible.

Should it be a full fid...one long fid untapered, one short fid tapered?

If you do a full fid as you described, I think you'll be doing more than what many think is necessary.

On my own gear, with a locked brummell, I won't hesitate to do a long fid, half of which is tapered.

love
nick

... I want to keep the buried part as short as possible.

Should it be a full fid...one long fid untapered, one short fid tapered?

I like Nick's cautious reply, but I would add this: If you want the short bury to stay buried, the locked Brummel doesn't really help at all. It will save your ass if the bury comes out, but it is the throat stitching that gives the bury its holding strength, and more stitching, within reason, means more holding strength.

Think of the Brummel as one giant stitch made with the rope itself. Like the stitching in the throat, it can't fail unless it breaks or the rope is ripped apart by the stitching. But because the Brummel is outside the buried splice, it only indirectly and weakly contributes to the splice's holding strength.

I have tested some Brummel/splice combos in Tenex, successfully pulling short buries out. When the buried tail comes out, the full load is felt by the Brummel and it tightens up into an extremely dense knot, no longer recognizable, really, as the Brummel it once was. I never attempted to break one of these tight knots, as the Brummel's strength was not my interest at the time.

Adopting Nick's cautious tone, I would predict that the Brummel all by itself, in 3/8" Tenex, would hold at least 1000 pounds if the tail is 6" or more in length, and maybe much more. The 6" buried tail, if very well stitched, should also hold at least that much, and you might never get to see what a Brummel looks like when it saves you from an inadequate splice.

Back