No more "mini-piggy" gas cans?

Dave Shepard

Square peg, round world.
Sign at the hardware store says all non-CARB cans are outlawed, and cannot be sold after 1/1/09. I guess they forgot the date, as I bought three of them. I also got one of the "No-spill" cans for bulk mix-gas. Never tried one before. The mini-piggy (as they are called at Bailey's) should be a great improvement on two gallon jugs tied together with a piece of rope.:/:

You'll like the No-Spill cans. I was vehemently opposed to all the crap gas cans being forced upon us for several years until a friend bought me a No-Spill can. Up untill then I was still using a few old Rubbermaid cans that I'd had forever, hoping the flex spouts wouldn't break. The No-Spill cans were a great improvement over anything I'd used prior. They are actually designed to pour gas without spilling, as opposed to most cans which practically force you to spill gas when pouring.

Hey Carl, I haven't heard anything from you, how do you like yours? Or did it end up tossed in the shed? :lol:

I thought I sent a PM to you the day after I used it, B?

Thanks again. :D

I use it for filling up the mini, it holds a full empty tank, and an extra quart .

Whenever work pics up I'll try it with mix for the saws.

Whenever I get to

The no spill can is a great addition. Perfect metering of gas is so dang easy. Its smaller square shape fits better in the toolboxes as well.

Good Buy!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I haven't tried the no-spill yet, it's in the truck with a 2.5 gallon mix in it. I vary between a 2.5 and 5 gallon mix depending on how much sawing I'm going to be doing. I then fill a one gallon jug to carry into the woods. Mayb no-spill will make a piggy back type can.

No, the no-spills have a much bigger opening in them. If they weren't so expensive, you could probably cut them off and glue or plastic weld them onto a piggy back.

i haven't missed my piggy much, most of mine got ripped off a couple years ago when you couldnt buy them here in cali anymore,
the big no spill with the push button has been great, better than the first no spills they came out with,
those sucked now if they could only make a good 1 in 5 gal

no chit,huh
i always hate buying 5 gal cans
countdown till some clown throws a saw in the truck and stabs the side of the can,
driving around town..like do you smell gas?

Bailey's carries all three sizes. Mine is a 5 gallon. It seems very compact, and square. My Eagle round cans I have to put in a milk crate to keep them from tipping. I think I'll email No-spill and see if they are going to make a piggy-back can.

no chit,huh
i always hate buying 5 gal cans
countdown till some clown throws a saw in the truck and stabs the side of the can,
driving around town..like do you smell gas?

Another good reason smart people use bar scabbards, and keep the saws away from gear like gas cans, oil jugs, and ropes.

I agree those no-spill cans actually work and do the job very well. I think it is the fault of pencil pushing municipal types that forced the use of all the other plastic gas cans.
They say they are the only cans allowed by OSHA.
Our local parks service still uses the metal blast proof cans with the plastic funnel attached. Those cans are another example of a can that forces you to spill gas with every use.

Another example of the sillyness of osha is the plastic pull cords on a chipper discharge chute.
The story I got was some dumb ass municipal worker spec'ed it out on a chipper in some kind of feverish and mindless money spending spree. After Morbark made one, the lawyers said if they ever made another without it, they would be sued.

Anyhow, those no-spill cans are great. and I have wasted a bunch of money on all those other plastic cans.

Frans, did you mean those "oh shit" cables on the INfeed chute?

i hate the 5 gallon jugs, ill buy 2 2.5 gallon jugs before a 5er. i also hate those last ditch cords but they dont seem to be in the way and id never cut em off!!

Seems to me that by the time you'd be in a position to reach them, you might as well let the rest of you go through; you're already over half missing.

Anyone ever try to actually use them? I don't think you could activate them in an emergency situation.

Chippers should have a big warning sign on them:

Warning: Not only will this machine kill you, it will hurt the entire time you are dying!:O

Another good reason smart people use bar scabbards, and keep the saws away from gear like gas cans, oil jugs, and ropes.
oh thank you sire for enlightening me, i had no idea thats what those orange things are for, :P
no seriously trying to keep up with the seasonal workers about gear storage is a bugger, send 5 guys with a pickup packed with gear for a couple hour drive to go work 10hrs and then drive back, at the end of the day gear just gets stacked like tetris and theyre out:|:
its getting much better but its always the FNG that does it ,Ive been trying to keep the cans in milkcrates or tied in the corner of the bed
and the gear is all bagged so it cant get oily, i started keeping gear on a pallet at the front of the truck so when gas or oils get spilled they roll right out the back under the gear and saws so its not so messy:)

Not to pleased with these piggy-back gas cans. In order to seal them, you have to put the spout back in, because the gasket is on the spout. If I put just the disc in, they leak. I really like the no-spill can, and I want to put one of those on the piggy can.:/:

These cans don't make any sense, either you leave both spouts sticking out, without caps, or you put them back in every time, that's not going to happen. These things look like a Texas longhorn with both spouts sticking out. I was going to toss them, and just pour from the mouth. :X

Interesting info from nospill.com:

What's the difference between No-Spill's CARB cans and "non-CARB" cans?
No-Spill's regular (non-CARB) cans are very similar to our CARB compliant cans. After changes in CARB regulations effective July 2007, the only difference between a No-Spill® CARB compliant can and our regular (nonCARB) can is the special treatment of the can body for low permeation. By January 2009 the US EPA will require that all fuel cans comply with new EPA regulations (similar to CARB) so our regular (nonCARB) cans will be discontinued and No-Spill® will only produce our CARB/EPA compliant version which will include Child Resistance features required by CPSC in January 2009.

This may explain why they are more expensive. I'd imagine the crappy Blitz cans will be more expensive as well soon.

Thanks Reddog, I'll see if that will work. I wasn't going to mess with the spouts anyway, waste of time.

Back