Any SRT guys in here?

• Thread starter Ace76
  • Start date
  • Replies 82
  • Views 10K
A

Ace76

What type of descending device do you use? e.g. Rack, grigri, Petzl stop, Petzl ID, ect...

No! We're old school.
Leave now or you will be excecuted! :X

Kidding, just kidding. SRT... nope, not much, only for ascents. When I do it's a single hand ascender and a Pantin. Gotta get a Kroll someday. There's a figure 8 technique I read about on the Buzz that I want to try.

Nope. I played around with it, tried a few variations about 6-7 years ago and kept running into too many negatives without really seeing any benefits (other than perceived 'safety' if you have to depend on the brush monkey to rescue you from the tree). I prefer having full control over my own safety without exposing the tensioned part of my lifeline to falling limbs and brush, groundies with chainsaws, etc. It also did not gain me anything as far as speed or maneuverability.

Seriously, unless you have your climbing roots firmly entrenched in rock climbing then I don't think there is any advantage whatsoever to working a tree off SRT. My only exception to that is for my initial ascent into large trees. I posted pictures of my setup many times in years past, I'm not sure if Blinky got his ideas from that or not. But I use a Pantin and a single handled ascender on a tether hooked to my center D, and my VT hitch attached to my center D ring riding on the rope as my backup. It's an excellent entry method since my hip won't allow me to footlock without considerable pain.

SRT is nearly useless most of the time. When I do I use an 8.

I have a Petzl ID but wish I had bought the The Eddy. I use SRT for crown entry, cat rescue and cabling. I do not like the idea of trimming a tree using SRT because using a handsaw or chainsaw near that taught of a rope scares me.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I should probably mention that I dont do tree work for a living. I want to climb for fun. The only experience I have is a 200ft rappell down into a cave and had to climb back out using ascenders. Not a very easy task for240 lb. guy like me. For that descent I used a rack, but I dont like the idea of having to use a heavy rack for a short decent from a tree. On the other hand I want something with a little more control than a figure 8. I dont have any DdRT experience, so SRT is my choice for now.

What "more control" do you want from an 8?

Dual wraps add more friction, giving you more control in a sense.

Yeah, without DdRT 2:1 thing you should probably stay mechanical.

Doesn't the Eddy go up AND down?

I've never seen or heard anything about the EDDY.

An 8 works great for me rappelling on a single rope but I weigh 185.

How do you do a double wrap?

What "more control" do you want from an 8?

Dual wraps add more friction, giving you more control in a sense.

If you let go of the rope using an 8 your dead. A lot of the other devices have a saftey built in.

Let go with a rescue rack dropping into a cave and you're dead.

Add a prussik for a backup. Let go and you're still there :0

I may try the DdRT someday, but I will probably need a different rope. My static SRT rope is pretty stiff compared to most arborist ropes.

Use SRT for entry and some for when I am in the tree. I use a Pantin and one handed Petzel with foot loop. Figure 8 for the repel. But I only weigh 150 with out equip. So a figure 8 works well for me. I am also a noob working through what works for me. :)
I also trust my business partner to lower me come hell or high water also :)
Also use a friction knot for back up ;)

Let go of a rescue rack dropping into a cave and you're dead.

True. But unlike the 8, the rack has way more control. I can adjust the friction while descending by moving the bars up or down. and for a heavy guy like me the rack provides plenty of friction. The 8 may be too fast for my weight and might get out of control.

If you let go of the rope using an 8 your dead.

That's true, you should definitely not let go.

A lot of people use a friction hitch to back their mechanical up. I back up my ascenders but usually don't back up an 8. I've rapped on those things so many times now it just seems like a waste of time. Single line is a little iffier than a double but still, you just keep a firm grip and a little distance between your hand and the 8 so you have fine control and can lock off anytime.

I weigh more than you ;)

I recommend using a friction backup until you're comfortable with the 8.

I also agree with Blinky.

If the rope was long enough, could you drape it over a limb at the midway point letting both ends touch the ground, and push both ropes through the 8? Seems that may double the friction

True. But unlike the 8, the rack has way more control. I can adjust the friction while descending by moving the bars up or down. and for a heavy guy like me the rack provides plenty of friction. The 8 may be too fast for my weight and might get out of control.

Bullshit. I outweigh you, and an 8 works just fine, even on my 13mm Black Max caving rope.. More weight = more friction, son. :)

Dang, yall are some heavy tree workers....lol I was under the impression that all you guys were skinny.

If the rope was long enough, could you drape it over a limb at the midway point letting both ends touch the ground, and push both ropes through the 8? Seems that may double the friction

It doesn't really double the friction but it's a lot more manageable. The problem is you can tumble or bind the wrap easier with doubles. You have to feed the rope in flat without letting it twist, it's not hard, just something to know.

Dang, yall are some heavy tree workers....lol I was under the impression that all you guys were skinny.

You wouldn't believe...

Fact is, no matter how much you weigh, when you first start climbing it's really hard and exhausting. But after you do it regularly for a while your efficiency goes waaay up and it's not nearly as much work as it used to be.

Back